Harland Sharp roller rockers ???? on a big block dodge 440

-

mopwr2004a

low slung chassis
Reaction score
those of you who have run these have you had to clearance the rocker for the pushrod cup. I have 2 sets of pushrods one has the cup diameter larger then the other. the larger ones have interfearence with the rocker at full lift. so i put the smaller ones in. took the car out made my first pass and one pushrod broke and is bent. it snapped off right below the ball cup. Everything worked fine before with the non roller rockers on same exact setup. the cam is a .650 lift solid non roller.​

I haven't used them on a big block but several companies make pushrods that are tapered the last 1/2" or so for clearance. Maybe that would solve the problem? Just a thought.

Call Smith Bros. In Oregon. Don't waist time and money with Comp etc...
This is experience talking....

the pushrod itself isnt the prblm. its the o.d of the cup that the adj. screw sits in. this setup wrkd fine in the engine the rockers and pushrods came from only difference is the other eng. had a solid roller cam that had less lift. I had some Isky non roller rockers with the solid tappet cam and had no issues on the engine I switched the rollers onto. the other rockers look fine so i'm thinking maybe the lash was alittle loose and the pushrod came off the adjstrs ball.

the pushrod itself isnt the prblm. its the o.d of the cup that the adj. screw sits in. this setup wrkd fine in the engine the rockers and pushrods came from only difference is the other eng. had a solid roller cam that had less lift. I had some Isky non roller rockers with the solid tappet cam and had no issues on the engine I switched the rollers onto. the other rockers look fine so i'm thinking maybe the lash was alittle loose and the pushrod came off the adjstrs ball.

Isn't the cup on the end of the pushrod? If so can you grind down the outer circumference of it a little to make it clear? Or would you have to take a bunch off to make it clear?

What about using pushrods a little shorter? They will cause you to screw the adjuster out farther which should put the cup farther away from the body of the rocker. Of course you have to watch that you don't go too short and cause other problems.

well you will never guess what I found. the 2 types of pushrods will work. the balls are 5/16 and matching cups. what happen was the rocker shaft holdown bolts had backed of. so when I get the car off the trailer I will be pulling the shafts on both sides and look into putting studs if available or at the least loctite the bolts. I will post a few pics when I get them uploaded.

Is the rocker geometry correct?
If not the pushrods could be too long causing the interference or alternatively the shafts may need to be shimmed to allow correct adjustment.

-
Back