Harley Davidson Battery question

-

Pabuhr

Reaction score
I know that quite a few of you have motorcycles. I have a 1997 Ultra Classic that I have been using lawn mower batteries in for the last few years. They only last for 1-2 years before giving up. I priced one at the dealership and is was $275.00. I ran Harley batteries before and couldn't get more than 3 years out of. Any suggestions for a decent battery that isn't so spendy?

I recently replaced the battery in my 125cc scooter.

I bought an AGM off ebay for $60.

Interestingly, before it arrived, I found the correct lead acid battery, unopened at a thrift store for $6, so I bought that and am still using it.
The AGM is on the shelf.

The OEM battery in that Yamaha scooter lased from when I bought the 2012 model in 2014 until last year and almost 5,000 miles.

I've always used a OEM Harley battery, all ways get about 5 yrs out of them. I keep It on a battery tender, that might be the trick.

Yep, put it on a tender in the winter.
I get 3-5 years out of my harley batteries. pretty much the same from non harley batteries.
On my crotch rocket though, seems every 2 years I am replacing the battery. No matter what brand I pick up.

Same with car batteries. They all seem to be about the same. No longer do you get a battery from autozone that will last you 12 years.

I have two bikes and one is a ultra classic with big bore etc. I have experimented with a bunch of different batteries and honestly as much as it pains me to admit the Harley batteries last 3-5 years every single time. I too use a tender. It kills me to tell anyone to use the Harley shop but on batteries they win.

I use a Harley battery maintainer and my last OEM Harley battery lasted 10 years.

Yuasa is pretty good.

Reality: the "Harley" battery is made by a battery manufacturer, quite likely Yuasa. HD doesn't make their own batteries. The HD sticker doubles the price.

That 6 year plus battery was a Yuasa.

-
Back