harmonic balancer bolt

-

71RALLYEDART

Reaction score
does anyone know the diameter and legnth of the harmonic balancer bolt and also the diameter and thickness of the washer

I remember right it's 3/4 fine thread and the under head length is 2-1/4" but I can never find them in 2-1/4" long but 2-1/2" long work fine. Don't forget they have a super thick (1/4" thick?) washer under them. Gotta have it cause a regular washer will cave under the pressure required to properly torque them.

Its the same as a 440! I have an ARP bolt for a 440 in my 340

I know that Mancini Racing sells two different length balancer bolts new.

What about a hardened washer? Anybody sell a good one? Whomever put on my balancer probably used the bolt to try to pull in the balancer onto the crank - it is a very tight fit - and chewed up the washer in the process. I will heat the balancer to expand it so it will fit on correctly when it goes back together.

What about a hardened washer? Anybody sell a good one? Whomever put on my balancer probably used the bolt to try to pull in the balancer onto the crank - it is a very tight fit - and chewed up the washer in the process. I will heat the balancer to expand it so it will fit on correctly when it goes back together.

Arp is what I've always used and they have never let me down.

You sure about that? I thought big block balancer bolts are a little shorter? Then again maybe the aftermarket bolts are all the same.

I thought the same thing at first, but when I contacted Arp directly they said its the same (I don't know if it has to do with anything but mine is a 12 point bolt). It worked out just fine for me.

I thought the same thing at first, but when I contacted Arp directly they said its the same (I don't know if it has to do with anything but mine is a 12 point bolt). It worked out just fine for me.

Gotcha... I doubt it's anything with being a 12 point. They probably just make them the same because their close enough to work and only having to stock 1 that fits both reduces inventory.

I don't know how hard the factory washer is but I've never had an issue with them, but I don't use the bolt to pull the balancer on either.

here is what i have in my garage-- 2 different sized bolts. Lawrence

Attachments

• dartsportstuff 006 (Large).jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 332
The big motors do indeed, use a shorter length damper bolt. Where the confusion comes from is, aftermarket dampers for big blocks, are made to the small block dimensions and require the longer bolt. This is one of the first lessons I learned, when I made the switch over from Ford's Fine Mess.

here is what i have in my garage-- 2 different sized bolts. Lawrence

That's what I've always seen. Small blocks were longer than big blocks.

The big motors do indeed, use a shorter length damper bolt. Where the confusion comes from is, aftermarket dampers for big blocks, are made to the small block dimensions and require the longer bolt. This is one of the first lessons I learned, when I made the switch over from Ford's Fine Mess.

That explains why ARP says it takes the same bolt. Great information.

-
Back