Harmonic Balancer Needed 71 Slant Six

-

74desertduster

Reaction score
Does anybody know of a good source for a balancer for my 71 Slant Six Dart?

Local shops want a lot of cash....Autozone is $200 and other places are worse.

Mine just fell apart....

Thanks!

Brian

Attachments

• balance.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 271
Does anybody know of a good source for a balancer for my 71 Slant Six Dart?

Local shops want a lot of cash....Autozone is $200 and other places are worse.

Mine just fell apart....

Thanks!

Brian

If you want a new one.
Get the one off E-bay. PB1001-N
Its made in Austrailia.
Great part.
Right around $100.00

I don't have an impact, how do I get the big bolt off? Engine just spins. I was gonna shove some rope into one of the cylinders thru the spark plug tube to fill it up and keep the engine from turning.

I don't have an impact, how do I get the big bolt off? Engine just spins. I was gonna shove some rope into one of the cylinders thru the spark plug tube to fill it up and keep the engine from turning.

Rope...Yer kidding right ? lol

Is the motor in the car,or on a stand ?

No man, old trick for pulling valve springs without the valve falling. You shove a bunch of rope in there and turn the engine by hand til it presses up against the valves. Holds them in place.

It's in the car.

No man, old trick for pulling valve springs without the valve falling. You shove a bunch of rope in there and turn the engine by hand til it presses up against the valves. Holds them in place.

It's in the car.

So put the car in gear,and pull the emergency brake. This will stop the crank from spinning.
Bolt should now come right out.

Automatic trans. Anyway, bolt is out....just gotta wait for the balancer now. Drove about 60 miles today...glad it waited til I was in the driveway to let go.

Used one for now...all I can afford. Saw the ones on ebay...

Guess I need a shorter bolt to pull the new balancer onto the crank.

I am lucky there is a hardware store and Autozone next to my trailer park....lol

Perfect time to clean some of the crap off the front of the engine.

Cudamark on here set me up with a balancer so hopefully it will get here Friday and I will have wheels again.

I am lucky there is a hardware store and Autozone next to my trailer park....lol

Perfect time to clean some of the crap off the front of the engine.

Cudamark on here set me up with a balancer so hopefully it will get here Friday and I will have wheels again.
The balancer is in it's way. It left here last night via USPS priority mail. I would recommend you put a new seal in the timing cover. In your year, you have to pull the cover to do it. I know it's a hassle but you're almost guaranteed a leak if you don't. Make sure your crank and key are free of burrs and that the key is straight and seated in the groove before you install the new balancer. Getting it started straight and aligned is the most important part or else you can crack the balancer hub. Use that S.B. bolt to install it if you can rather than just using a hammer. If you have to hammer it, use a big socket in between the balancer and hammer. Don't put any pry or hit the outer ring in any way. Get some extra washers to pull the balancer down tight against the crank timing chain sprocket. You may leave the bolt installed or pull it off.....I kinda like to leave them in place just as insurance. Have fun!

Thanks Mark!

It's a perfect time to replace my chain cover as I don't have any timing marks on this one....I wasn't smart enough to ask you if you had one to ship with the balancer.

I found a new bolt at the hardware store...the one I pulled out had the threads pretty flat on it so I am hoping the crank threads are true.

Yeah, you should have said something. If it left now it wouldn't get there until next week. If you get delayed (like you find you need a new timing chain set) and want to get one, let me know. I've only got 20-30 to choose from! :)

Okie dokie...back on the road....sorta.

Two thumbs up for all the help and to Cudamark for getting me the balancer so quickly. The balancer problem is fixed and aside from any possible crank seal leaks....a complete success.

Now I am back to dealing with my stinkin 1920 that won't idle.....which is where I started 3 days ago.

mine got here yesterday, looks like a very nice piece. will put it on today. i put two other marks on it, at 20 and 40 degrees after TDC. this way i can see up to 50 degrees before TDC with the factory marks.

Attachments

• dampner 003.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 124
  • dampner 004.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 134
-
Back