Harmonic balancer oil leak in magnum.

-

maca

Reaction score
Hey everyone
I have built my fourth Magnum engine and with all 4 of them they all leak oil out of the front timing case crank seal where the balancer goes in.
I have replaced the front seal several times but they all leak. I noticed the magnum engine doesn't have an oil slinger on the crank like the LA.
Am I doing something wrong? I have even fitted the balancer to the timing case before I tighten the timing case down to make sure it's evenly seated around the balancer. Still no luck

I read somewhere there is a tightening sequence/pattern to solve this. Cant remember where i saw it.
New balancer?
Maybe a wear sleeve would tighten it up a touch?

Hey everyone
I have built my fourth Magnum engine and with all 4 of them they all leak oil out of the front timing case crank seal where the balancer goes in.
I have replaced the front seal several times but they all leak. I noticed the magnum engine doesn't have an oil slinger on the crank like the LA.
Am I doing something wrong? I have even fitted the balancer to the timing case before I tighten the timing case down to make sure it's evenly seated around the balancer. Still no luck

From the factory Magnums had a plastic sealing washer under the bolt to keep oil from coming out from between the crank snout and balancer.
Could this be the problem?

If you are sure it's coming from the seal to balancer hub then the timing cover isn't centered, and therefor neither is the seal around the balancer hub.
I know the pan already being on the engine forces the timing cover up pretty hard and if the pan is loose when putting the cover on this doesn't happen.

Yes I have tried putting the timing cover on first but still no good.
One of the gasket kits I got there's a big round felt washer that I thought maybe went there but no other Magnum engine I pulled apart has had anything under there before

Smear some rtv sealant on the inside the balancer where the crank shaft keyway goes... I bet it is coming from there.

I have done that. I used locktight the first few times and gasket sealant the last time.
Anyone else have this issue?

I have had bunch of Magnum 5.2 and 5.9 engines apart over the years, some for repairs and some for upgrades and rebuilds. Never had one leak from the front seal yet, and always set the cover in place loosely, install the balancer completely, snug all front bolts starting near the bottom, tighten all front bolts, then install oil pan. Only did a couple where the oil pan was left in place and tightened the oil pan bolts to the timing cover last. If you have even had a factory Magnum balancer leak when re-installed with the same bolt, washer, and thin plastic washer that TrailBeast mentioned, it must be a technique issue or a problem with seal not being installed correctly in the cover, or getting distorted when hammered into the cover. How exactly are you removing the oil seal and installing the new one?

Thanks guys I will try that installation method. I never used to tighten the balancer all the way down before doing the timing case up. I don't have that plastic washer however it is definitely coming from the seal behind the balancer. If it was coming from the keyway or bolt it would be coming out the front of the balancer wouldn't it? Front is dry

Yes it would. The balancer does not need to be fully torqued before tightening the cover, but definitely on all way by hand or hammer and wood block etc., so the seal is not on the chamfered part of the balancer hub. Check the timing cover for gouges where seal sits when you remove it. If ok, install a new seal in the cover, then post two clear pictures here before installing the cover, one of the inside showing the seal, and one of the outside.

-
Back