Has anybody removed slapped felt headliner right against the roof?

-

MADMarc

Just a d00d
Reaction score
**DANGIT...noticed the title is off. That's what I get for posting from my phone***

I'm trying to think of ideas to keep the car comfortable, but I also want to leave room for the cage. The bowed headliner in my 70 swinger is needing some love in the future, and rather than reupholster the existing style, I was wondering if anybody has had success tossing some padding and then vinyl or felt directly onto the roof of the car. I could do the cardboard backing route, but even those hang down a bit, not to mention they're super brittle if I was to use an existing headliner for the template or even as something that I'd reupholster.

Ideas? I'd have to figure something out with the channel that runs across the center of the roof, but don't think that'd be too much of an obstacle. Might anybody have or know where I can find some shots of the interior side of the rear quarters?

You could use the foil faced bubble stuff they have at Home Depot.

2 layers glued to the roof would insulate and sound deaden nicely.

Take a cardboard liner from a later model and cover it with foam backed cloth as used in newer cars. I did several like this all colors available. The dome light holds the center up..

That does work well.

Also, using a sound deadener against the metal with strong spray adhesive does more for reducing resination than attaching it to the headliner, If you do both and hit the insulation with spray adhesive on both sides, it also helps hold the card liner up and helps prevent sagging. I use a thin sound/ heat insulating sheet that is made for doing just that. It has a reflective surface on one side and helps regulate temp inside to out.

Thanks for the input, guys. How is the cardboard liner held up on the sides? I was thinking I could get it closer w/directly adhering to the deadener/insulation, not to mention it'd be easier to get everything up there and just tuck the ends under trim.

-
Back