Has anyone built their own rod balancer?

-

Bad Sport

HALF A BUBBLE OFF
Staff member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
If so, how'd it work out?

Dcp01019.jpg

Call me crazy. LOL :toothy10:

I played with it some. I used a triple beam balance with resolution of 0.1g. I used knife edge on big end at cap joint. It is a bunch of trial and error to get geometry and friction and sticktion under control to achieve repeatable readings.

My results are very good, but I work with horizontal opposed boxer engines, they might be more forgiving by design. The OEM spec is 10g.... I use same 3b balance for pistions, pins. I shave parts, and match components to achieve assembly balance. That helps reduce the shave process.

You've obviously got way too much spare time on your hands.....

I'd say, unless you're building and balancing engines every day, the time and effort of building your own balancing system vs paying to have the rods balanced isn't worth it.

If so, how'd it work out?

Call me crazy. LOL :toothy10:

I have also, but had aluminum adapters with .250 ID ball bearings to center bores. I use a triple beam scale. Always check by adding your small end and big end to be sure they add up to the total weight of the rod. And you think your crazy?

I have also, but had aluminum adapters with .250 ID ball bearings to center bores. I use a triple beam scale. Always check by adding your small end and big end to be sure they add up to the total weight of the rod. And you think your crazy?

Lol, well I built it on Sat. and did exactly what you describe with a couple of the rods and it came out just about perfecto!

Not the one in the pic, that was just as an example, mine's purdier. :D

I might be crazy, or eccentric, but in balance. :) Balance, head CC work, along with a decent ignition, results in rotary like rev performance. A rev limiter saves the day.

Not much loss of time, I work while watching movies with the wife. She does fiber arts like weaving or spinning. We are the type that keep our hands busy all the time.

Lol, well I built it on Sat. and did exactly what you describe with a couple of the rods and it came out just about perfecto!

Not the one in the pic, that was just as an example, mine's purdier. :D

And you know it's right on the button, when you do it yourself..

-
Back