Has Anyone Ever Tried Rear Disc Off A Grand Cherokee?

-

WONTGETDUSTED

CRACKED-OUT MOPAR TECH JUNKY
Reaction score
i know i saw on here somewhere about somebody who had done this before. and i have all the stuff off of a g.c. and other than the fact that i need to get real bbp axles(not the janky redrilled one that i got with my rear) with the correct offset. and other than drilling one hole in the caliper mounting bracket ,which i;ve already done. on the test fit everything looks great even the cable will work with some modification. but i noticed that the caliper bracket ,which also serves as the mounting plate against the axle tube flange that the bracket is almost twice as think as the factory drum backing plate.so my question is "will this affect the wheel bearing depth inside the axle adversly?" and btw i plan on using the timken bearing and not the greens....plus what does someone have to do to become a "mopar tech junky" instead of a "junior member"?

do a search, i remember seeing it on the site within the past year or so... im doing the same swap, just on an 8 1/4. im sure there was a post with some good picks for the 8 3/4 swap at some point, just cant remember when... could have been at bigblockdart.com also, i might be mixing up my sites. goodluck!

I don't think you will be able to do the swap using the timken bearing unless you put the caliper bracket on after you put in the axles. Does the caliper bracket have a large enough center hole to fit over the axle adjuster? If it doesn't then you will have to use "green bearings" but you will still have to put the caliper bracket on the outside of the axle. Possibly the caliper bracket would replace the green bearing retainer completely and become the bearing retainer.

Chuck

the caliper bracket is big enough for the timken to fit though.....the caliper bracket bolts on the housing first just like the drum braking plates then you bolt the bearing retainer flange and axles in... the only thing is the caliper bracket is about twice the thickness of the drum backing plate...which to my understanding would move the bearing and race a 1/8 inch futher outward ...would this affect the bearing? would the green's still work if i go that way?

-
Back