Has anyone made a small block engine dolly??

-

74scamp360

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals i've been wanting to make a couple engine dolleys so that my poor old motors don't have to sit on the floor anymore and also so that they're a little more mobile. Like i'm not looking for a full engine stand just a little dolly. I don't want to buy one but i was wondering if anyone had one that they could take some measurements for me so i could build a couple in my manufacturing class.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414UubqQNtL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

There's a pic. of one if you don't know what i mean. If someone could do this for me i'd really appretiate it!! Thanks!!

I'm not sure who made them but I bought a couple from a tool guy at a swap meet for like $20 or $25. Most of the cheap tool dealers sell them, they are color coded and the turquoise is the one for the sb Mopar, I think the sb Chevy is orange and they also had a couple shades of blue, black and red, all for different engines.

Search greedbay, I'm sure something will pop up.

I have a few engine stands and made one of them dual purpose, engine stand/Dolly......... Pretty simple and it works great.

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

when the egines are just put away my dad started putting bb and sb on the bottom parts off of shopping carts after he cut the basket off works good and cheap.

I used to make these, except everyone thinks you should price it on par with the cheap piece of crap that summit sells.

Engdolly.jpg

Needless to say I don't build them anymore...

thanks guys, i was hoping to find someone who had one that they could measure for me because i'm not quite sure on what measurements should be. Something like what crackedback has is really what i'm looking for or any of the ones people posted links too, I just want to save a few bucks and build them myself, in my manufacturing class at school we get all the materials for free and then all i have to do is cut it all and weld it together. If anyone is willing to measure one up for me that would be hugely appretiated, thanks for all the responses guys!!

Depending on what kind school you go to, I would take an empty block and oil pan into class and use it for a template.

The ones I have was made from 1" square tubing and has a tab on each side that bolts to the bottom bell housing bolts and a tube up front that sets between the motor mount tabs on the block. It was cheap but once it is bolted to the engine it work real well and is very sturdy.

ya it sounds like what you have is what i'm hoping to build. I've seen them built before and it seems that is a pretty common design, 1 inch tubing. I just want to build something so that they're off the ground and so that i can move them around without having to mess up my back tring to push them along the floor lol. That's a great idea to take an empty block to school but i don't think that's really an option to me, it's kinda sad to say but i wouldn't trust the other people there, things get messed up and stolen all the time, it's really too bad, plus i don't really have a block that i want to completly disassemble right at the moment. i know i saw in a magazine that was how they did it, just flipped a block upside down and built it off of that. i know how it needs to look, i just am not sure of measurements

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a few 1 x 2's then build a mock up out of wood then take that to school and tack a sample together from the mock up then take it home and test fit it, if it fits, then finish welding it and make more of them just like it.

Home made engine dolley....small block Mopar...I just had a 5.9L magnum on it.....upgrading to larger caster wheels now....

It is 21 1/8" wide, 24" long, 1 1/2" square tube
Front legs are 17 3/8" from tip to base
Rear legs are 15 1/2" tall with pads.
The front legs use some old motor mount brackets we had laying around to bolt to the block ears...you could make some...
Hope this helps?
I also have another square one made on angle iron with adjustable legs.
Each leg has a bar welded front to rear that rests on the oil pan rail...works well.

stand.jpg

stand 2.jpg

stand 3.jpg

that does help, thanks, i've started building one and am just kind of wingin it. I've got 2 pads that sit on the block right behind the motor mounts and then i have 2 uprights at the back that bolt into the belhousing bolts, i'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it works!! Thanks guys

I'd love to give you some measurement, never really measured anything. I used a block as a jig and made it up and knew roughly how tall the arms needed to be and just leveled the base.

ya i know roughly how high they need to be so i think i'm just gonna lift up the engine a bit and slide the pieces underneath to make sure they're at the right height, thanks guys

-
Back