Has anyone used Energy Suspension Poly dust boots?

-

dodgemahal

Reaction score
I installed an Energy Polyurethane dust boot on an upper ball joint and I'm not sure how the big end is retained. It looks like it just slips over the ball joint body, but it flexes and slides around as the uca travels up and down(exposing a little bit of the ball joint body). There are no instructions included. I know I've got the correct part. It seems like it should be held tight up against the bottom of the uca.

I installed an Energy Polyurethane dust boot on an upper ball joint and I'm not sure how the big end is retained. It looks like it just slips over the ball joint body, but it flexes and slides around as the uca travels up and down(exposing a little bit of the ball joint body). There are no instructions included. I know I've got the correct part. It seems like it should be held tight up against the bottom of the uca.

Generally you’re suspension isn’t going to travel enough to expose the joint, but you are correct that there is no retainer on polys.

The tie rod dust boots are the same.

Generally you’re suspension isn’t going to travel enough to expose the joint, but you are correct that there is no retainer on polys.

The tie rod dust boots are the same.
Thanks,
I bought those tie rod boots too, but haven't put 'em on yet. I guess I'll try them out and see what happens. Live and learn, right?

Thanks,
I bought those tie rod boots too, but haven't put 'em on yet. I guess I'll try them out and see what happens. Live and learn, right?

I like how the tie rod caps worked out.
We used them on the Wife’s 72 Dart and they fit nice and tight.

I like how the tie rod caps worked out.
We used them on the Wife’s 72 Dart and they fit nice and tight.
Cool beans! Well, I was going to use them, but the stud spins while tightening the nut. I guess that means buying new tie rod ends.

Cool beans! Well, I was going to use them, but the stud spins while tightening the nut. I guess that means buying new tie rod ends.

Did you try pressing the stud up into it’s socket, then tighten it.
Its actually common for them to turn if there is no resistance on the stud.
It doesn’t necessarily mean the joint is bad.

Heck, I have used a jack to put pressure on the studs before so the stud wouldn’t turn with the nut.

No, I hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a try and let you know what results. Thanks for the tip. There's some really smart people on this forum, especially you!

No, I hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a try and let you know what results. Thanks for the tip. There's some really smart people on this forum, especially you!

It’s not so much smart as been doing this stuff since the Wizard of Oz was in black and white. :D

It’s not so much smart as been doing this stuff since the Wizard of Oz was in black and white. :D
It was filmed in color since it aired in 1939. That is, the version with Judy Garland. That sure makes you really old.
I think of you as a Mopar super hero. Just don't wear the tights. Lol.

Also, make SURE the tapered mating surfaces are dry as a bone. Sometimes you can get the taper to SEAT with a quick rap of a hammer and get the nut to tighten up without any other mechanical stimulation. Of course the threads have to be in good shape for any of this to work.

Also, make SURE the tapered mating surfaces are dry as a bone. Sometimes you can get the taper to SEAT with a quick rap of a hammer and get the nut to tighten up without any other mechanical stimulation. Of course the threads have to be in good shape for any of this to work.
I'll give it shot. Thanks!
I decided to remove all of the steering stuff to restore it all. It will be a while before I can get to that point. I'd hate having detailed control arms and greasy steering components.

It was filmed in color since it aired in 1939. That is, the version with Judy Garland. That sure makes you really old.
I think of you as a Mopar super hero. Just don't wear the tights. Lol.

We only had black and white the first time I saw it.
No tights, I promise.

Any part numbers for the boots? I need to replace both my tie rods and ball joints.

-
Back