Has anyone used the Pypes universal 3.5" X pipe system?

-

Bluecuda340

Reaction score
I am looking to build a 3.5" system for my Barracuda. I came accross this Pype's system and it seems like a decent value. I would be using it on a 68 Barracuda with TTI headers that have 3.5" collectors.

Why 3.5"? It currently has a 3" system that goes to 2.5" tailpipes after the Ultraflow mufflers. It has exhaust cutouts and picks up a tenth and a mph with the cutouts open. I would like to build a good enough exhaust system to not need cutouts. It has been 10.60 through the full system.
Link to Pypes System

Thanks for any information.

With the cutouts open I am sure it would be fine.

Still looking for info on the Pypes Universal X pipe kit.

In tests that we performed on a 3" X, we got more horse power when running an X pipe and dumps than open headers! However, as you get into higher hp applications, some tests we've read show a declining advantage of the X. If you are running 10.60's, I think you are still in a situation of advantage.

The Pypes 3.5" X-pipe is the Siamese design for maximum high end torque. As a word of caution, It will only fit as good as the TTI headers fit. If the TTI collectors face straight back and parallel with the ground, the installation will be fairly straight forward. If they are crooked, then it's going to be a b#$ch to install.

Also, You'll need to run dumps or custom make 3" tailpipes if you can get 3" through there. If you make the tailpipes, they need to be made with multi piece mandrel bends or you will negate the value of the 3.5" size X.

In tests that we performed on a 3" X, we got more horse power when running an X pipe and dumps than open headers! However, as you get into higher hp applications, some tests we've read show a declining advantage of the X. If you are running 10.60's, I think you are still in a situation of advantage.

The Pypes 3.5" X-pipe is the Siamese design for maximum high end torque. As a word of caution, It will only fit as good as the TTI headers fit. If the TTI collectors face straight back and parallel with the ground, the installation will be fairly straight forward. If they are crooked, then it's going to be a b#$ch to install.

Also, You'll need to run dumps or custom make 3" tailpipes if you can get 3" through there. If you make the tailpipes, they need to be made with multi piece mandrel bends or you will negate the value of the 3.5" size X.
Thanks for the reply.

I will likely just end it at the axle for now. I am rebuilding the exhaust for two reasons really, one is more power without the cutouts, and two is good lawd my car is super heavy and losing the tailpipes will help save some weight. The pipes system says to be 22 lbs, I am confident my current mid pipe setup is likely heavier than that.

If I go back to tailpipes I will either build some 3.5" ones, or adapt some of TTIs 3" tailpipes. After the mufflers I hope/assume the exhaust will have cooled enough to be ok stepping down to 3". It has a Dana and a stock gas tank, tailpipes will be a chore. You should see the crinkle bent muffler shop stuff that is on it now, its miracle it only slows a tenth when running through the exhaust. Most of this exhaust system was done when I was in high school in the mid 90s!

The TTI headers for sure don't go straight back, there will be plenty of fab work involved but I think buying the pypes kit gets me most of the pieces for less than I could source them separately.

X, H or none are all combo dependent. No base answer is correct for everything.

Have to test them all and find which works best. If you want to run the X, just run it and live with the results.

-
Back