Has This Happened to you ?

-

DartThis74

Reaction score
Just got out of class today around 4pm (rush hour mind you) and was heading back to my apartment, when all of a sudden the throttle cable on my engine in the dart snapped in half and I got stranded on top of the overpass about a block away from my house... What kind of luck is that lol. Sure was embarrassing having to take up a lane of traffic in rush hour while every looks at you funny lol.

Had that happen to me, I just pulled over set the idle up to about 1500 and made it home. Got a new cable from Oriellys
Bruce

How long ago did that happen to you? And would you happen to remember how much it cost for a new cable?

happened to my 72 cortina gt...tied the throttle open at 7000 rpm and carried on...lol...had to slip the clutch to take corners or it would just skid the front tires...pretty hard to shift gears also

Happened to me on a 85 Dodge Truck about 2 in the morning. I tied both of my shoestrings together and ran them through the firewall and ran the throttle by hand. Made it home but wouldn't want to drive it all the time like that.

That happened to my '68 GTX many years ago in a parking lot on start-up. Fortunately, I kept a few feet of safety wire in my toolbox in the trunk for various emergencies and was able to rig it up to get me home.

NO, thank God.............

I caught my cable on the Demon with only TWO strands of wire left holdin' it together...........Think it was a Lokar..................

........but I HAVE had stinking fuel pumps do the same thing to me, with no hope of a "shoestring" remedy............ 8)

Yep, I was 16 in my 75 duster, smashed the throttle to pass someone and the pedal stayed on the floor and I coasted to the side of the road.... managed to rig something up. found a little sleeve with a set screw in the tool box and patched it up.... now that I think about it I never did get around to "fixing" it.. just drove it that way til I sold it.. ... hey I was 16.
I did have a throttle cable stick open on my motorcycle... but that's another story ;)

Player... Ever had a clutch cable break on a bike...at rush hour..downtown?

I'm glad I was on my Kaw 500 triple. Easy to push !!

had it happen when i was in high school. used the shoe string remedy to get me home.

had the return spring let go on me one time as i was going around a state trooper who had someone pulled over on a two lane highway. traffic was taking turns going around and the throttle went wide open. left two nice black marks starting about where the trooper was standing. i just knew i was going to jail. pulled over and started looking for the problem. trooper pulled up behind me and i started trying to think how i was gonna talk my way out of going to jail. turns out the trooper was i guy i went to high school with. we diagnosed the problem and fixed it, had a good laugh about the whole thing.

i had a cluch cable brake had to feel it all the way home 50miles in rush hour traffic . and on my 68 the gas seems to get stuck a lot wide open . have to kick the peddel like a mad man to get it to unstick. lol .

I believe break downs are the price we pay for enjoying driving unique cars. I broke the factory weld on a Z bar fork last year. Still managed to get it most of the way home before calling AAA.

Player... Ever had a clutch cable break on a bike...at rush hour..downtown?

I'm glad I was on my Kaw 500 triple. Easy to push !!

Oh Crap yesss. Had one let go as I was coming up behind a line of cars at a red light. Pulled the lever and POP! still in gear....bang shifted with throttle blips into neutral.... oh those were the days. :lol:

The throttle stick was a little more scary, I had just goosed it to pass a car in the slow lane on I-95, speed shifted into 4th, swerved back to the slow lane to make the off ramp and went to roll out of it.........still going.....80-85 down the off ramp with a chick on the back.. yikes....split second timing and a new pair of undies later and we were stopped :toothy10::toothy10::-D

Pittman, My throttle in my duster is a little more like a momentary switch.... either on or off :) but that's by choice.

-
Back