have a problem with my 318

-

eatmydust72

Reaction score
new here to the forum world. have 1972 duster was having a issue with the 1405 edelbrock carb flooding with gasoline. now the engine oil smells like gasoline . was wondering if just changing the oil and treating it and monitoring it for further gas smell would be a good first step or does it need to be checked for piston ring damage as well thanks guys.

dump the oil and put fresh oil in it and change the filter and it wouldn't hurt to pull the plugs and squirt a few ounces in each cylinder spin it over by hand install plugs and fire it up should be ok

Welcome to FABO!

The oil change is mandatory, but you need to diagnose the reason for the flooding. Float level too high? Too much fuel pressure? Dirt in the system causing the needle & seat to hang open?

What fuel pump are you using and is it filtered somewhere before the carb?

I just thought of a question. Is it hard to start after sitting overnight or for a few days? A lot of cranking required? If that's the case, i wonder if the bowl could be draining thru the intake while the car is shut down? I'm not sure how that could happen, just another thought.

ill take that into consideration when i check the bowl after it ran it was pretty full then went back and it was empty from what i thought was evaporation but will look into what your thinking as well its a 1405 with the manual choke i believe i will be cleaning the carb and replacing the needles if needed and a oil and filter change and checking the spark plugs to start off thank you guys for the fast responses

Make sure you have the thick carb gasket to the manifold because the heat from the intake can make the fuel rise into the Venturi when the engine is running and also not running.

-
Back