Have to remember......

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
to pay attention to where I am standing next time I go to stir up my burn pile....standing in the burn pile was not a good idea.....

You didn't burn yerself did you?

I was in my back yard and I heard a commotion through the stockade fence. Someone was yelling " Dad drop and roll, drop and roll" I looked over the fence and the neighbor was on fire. By the time I ran around the fence he was out but laying there burned pretty bad. A bunch of neighbors came running,

He was carrying a coffee can of two stroke gas back to his burn pit with a cigarette in his mouth. Some how it lit him up. He was in the hospital for a while. They lost the house to the bank and I never saw him again.

That was a terrible thing to see. His beard and T-shirt looked like they melted to him. His kids were screaming as loud as him. The smell was horrific. We wrapped him in wet towels and waited for the the ambulance. One of the neighbors took his kids away. They were ages 5 to 10.

A life changer for him.

You didn't burn yerself did you?
Nope....
Hot time out in the sticks?
Yep.....
Could you say you were "hot footin' it"?
Yep.....
I was in my back yard and I heard a commotion through the stockade fence. Someone was yelling " Dad drop and roll, drop and roll" I looked over the fence and the neighbor was on fire. By the time I ran around the fence he was out but laying there burned pretty bad. A bunch of neighbors came running,

He was carrying a coffee can of two stroke gas back to his burn pit with a cigarette in his mouth. Some how it lit him up. He was in the hospital for a while. They lost the house to the bank and I never saw him again.

That was a terrible thing to see. His beard and T-shirt looked like they melted to him. His kids were screaming as loud as him. The smell was horrific. We wrapped him in wet towels and waited for the the ambulance. One of the neighbors took his kids away. They were ages 5 to 10.

A life changer for him.
One of the kids in my neighbor hood was at a Boyscout get together. They were having a bon fire and someone threw a can of fuel on the open fire. It splashed onto him, he got burned pretty badly. When he would come to my folks house to go swimming, we had an in ground swimming pool, John always needed to wear long pants when the sun was out., His legs were pretty badly burned, the docs did what they could for him skin graft wise.

I went out last night to stir the fire up a bit, it was one of those slow smoldering fires. Anyhow, it was dark and I was not paying attention. I stood on the coal bed. Feet got hot pretty damn quick. Burn pile still has some unpacked snow around it so I just headed for that. Nothing caught fire, feet got REAL warm real quick though.

Said this before but I will say it again....Fire fighters do not get enough credit for what they do. I get within a few feet of the burn pile and it more or less takes my breath away. I understand they have all that safety equipment, while it may protect them physically it is the mental aspect that I find very hard to accept. To walk into a burning building, gear on or not, is just something I do not think I would ever be able to do.

Alot of what our emergency service folks see they cant unsee.

Quite a many years ago I remember mom and dad talking about a bridge somewhere in the area that was hit by a tanker truck that burst into flames and the bridge had to be replaced after it melted.

I know a fella, JJ, me and him go way back, he knew me as a little **** cause he went to my grandparents church. Fast forward and when me and my folks moved into this area he was my bus driver in middle and high school, he was also heavily involved in the HS band and was a security gaurd at the HS. My senior year in band me and him was riding up to Boone in the band directors truck for all district band cause there wasnt enough room in the other vehicle and we were talking about his life as a volunteer first responder. Turns out he resonded to that call about the bridge. He said the tanker rolled on top of a guys car and when they got there the tanker had just caught on fire. JJ said the only option was to stand and listen to the guy burn to death. Later they had to scrape his remains off the interstate after the fuel burned off.

Its things like this the folks of 911 must live with and never forget.

My wife's cousin used to be an EMT. Her ambulance was the first responder on scene of a boy who had been sledding down a hill by a road. On his last trip he wasn't able to stop in time before he went out into the road, and he got run over. From what I can gather from the little she will say, it was not pretty. She has two boys of her own, and they were very little at that time. That was the last night she ever went out as an EMT.

My father in law is a security guard for a local manufacturing plant. Last year, one of the company semi's pulled out into traffic right in front of a guy on a motorcycle. He laid the bike down to avoid the truck, but all he did was slide under the rear wheels. My father in law was the first on scene since it happened right outside company property.

I have the greatest respect for the people who do this for a living. I don't think I would be able to simply for that fact. I wouldn't be able to disconnect my mind from the fact that what I was scraping off the road or highway, or out of a front seat, was somebody's spouse, child, or parent. It would tear me up inside. Thank you to all who are able to do this.

EDIT: Then there's always the possibility of this: http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/25/us/new-hampshire-holiday-tragedy/

I used to use gas to light burn piles. Dumb. I never threw it on a lit fire but it's still a really bad idea. One cold cloudy day about fifteen years ago I was lighting a pile at my dad's place on the side of a slight hill. I applied gas to the pile and let it sit a minute while I got a match to throw at it. I was standing up above the pile on the hill. As soon as I threw the match, a cloud of like blue plasma flame circled down the hill about twenty feet from the pile and then back up again. It was fantastic looking.....That's the last time I ever used gas on a burn pile. It got my attention...

One night one of my buddies decided to drink a lot and have a gigantic bonfire with a bunch of friends. He went to his truck and got a gas can and poured a little on the pile. His last match failed to light the fire so he went back to his truck for a fresh book. While he was gone one of the other drunks decided the problem was not enough gas, so he poured the rest of five gallons on it. My buddy came back and not knowing about the extra fuel went to light the fire. He said all he can remember is he started to drag the match across the striker and the whole world went up in flames. Everyone was too drunk to help him out. He managed to put himself out and drive himself to a hospital with the skin hanging off his arms and whatever and his bones exposed. Scarred from head to toe. I suppose you could say he got lucky.

Said this before but I will say it again....Fire fighters do not get enough credit for what they do. I get within a few feet of the burn pile and it more or less takes my breath away. I understand they have all that safety equipment, while it may protect them physically it is the mental aspect that I find very hard to accept. To walk into a burning building, gear on or not, is just something I do not think I would ever be able to do.

I can tell you first hand........it's a huge rush. I have crawled into several structure fires and I'm tellin' ya it's very exhilarating and very dangerous at the same time. Hot, 2000 plus degrees, can't see your hand in front of your face and you're trying to fight a demon from hell.

I feel very sad when someone has a house fire, it's the one thing that really sets me back. The sense of accomplishment and the personal reward comes when you can stop it and save most of someone personal effects.

I used to use gas to light burn piles. Dumb. I never threw it on a lit fire but it's still a really bad idea. One cold cloudy day about fifteen years ago I was lighting a pile at my dad's place on the side of a slight hill. I applied gas to the pile and let it sit a minute while I got a match to throw at it. I was standing up above the pile on the hill. As soon as I threw the match, a cloud of like blue plasma flame circled down the hill about twenty feet from the pile and then back up again. It was fantastic looking.....That's the last time I ever used gas on a burn pile. It got my attention...
Few years back the burn pile was overloaded with fuel and was just smoldering, building up heat in it. Unseasoned Ponderosa Pine has a crap load of sap. Throw enough of it on a fire and it will damn near put it out.....until the heat dries it out somewhat. Anyway, Cheesebrain from up the road was out side with me. Came in the house to get a bottle of water and he threw a one gallon plastic jug fill of gas/diesel on the fire, no lid on it the jug. As he tossed it needless to say it splashes a bit and got him. He was rolling around the weeds putting himself out. Dumbass....
I can tell you first hand........it's a huge rush. I have crawled into several structure fires and I'm tellin' ya it's very exhilarating and very dangerous at the same time. Hot, 2000 plus degrees, can't see your hand in front of your face and you're trying to fight a demon from hell.

I feel very sad when someone has a house fire, it's the one thing that really sets me back. The sense of accomplishment and the personal reward comes when you can stop it and save most of someone personal effects.
No doubt it can be an adrenaline rush.
On board our ship, you either put 'em out or sunk
Do or die.....no pressure there.....

-
Back