having trouble engaging the transmission

-

firefighter1

Reaction score
Hi,
I am having trouble putting the transmission into gear. any gear and there is a sound that can only be described as a fast and consistent knocking under the transmission hump. any ideas? i've ruled out rods and valve and rockers. I also have a brand new torque converter in there. ...??? out of ideas. help please.

Are you absolutely sure you indexed the pump drive of the converter into the pump hub. Was it able to slide in and out freely from the back to the flex-plate with the bellhousing closed up tight .

sounds like the converter bolts are loose...

i know when mine loosens up it sounds like the crank is bouncing around the engine compartment...

Maybe the wrong converter? Mopar changed the input shaft in '68....

i had a custom torque converter made for my application. i also torqued the bolts and added locktite, but i will recheck the tightness of the flexplate bolts. i am almost 100% sure that i put the converter in properly.

i had a custom torque converter made for my application. i also torqued the bolts and added locktite, but i will recheck the tightness of the flexplate bolts. i am almost 100% sure that i put the converter in properly.

i red locktite mine and they still loosen up like twice a year...

oh wow. did not know that. thanks for the tip. i'm about to start checking the car now. i'll let you guys know what i find... if anything. thanks again for all the help. please let me know if you have any other ideas about what to check in case it's not the flex plate bolts.

oh wow. did not know that. thanks for the tip. i'm about to start checking the car now. i'll let you guys know what i find... if anything. thanks again for all the help. please let me know if you have any other ideas about what to check in case it's not the flex plate bolts.

broke a flex plate once, made a sound just like you described in the first post, cant remember if i had trouble putting it in and out of gear.

Before installing, converter lugs 1/2" behind bellhouse face. them converter need to slide forward 1/8" .If that went good, then put shifter in park, loosen rod, and feel trans lever for in park, adjust. then, at full throttle, check for trans lever to be all the way back.

-
Back