Head Casting Question

-

gipperco

Reaction score
Hey I stumbled onto a set of heads for a very good price, FREE. I am trying to figure out if they were worth the effort to go and get them and use them on my 318 for my wife's dart or to use them for boat anchors. The last 3 in the casting number is 973. Keep in mind that I have the stock set of 302's. There is a big " F " forged in the the intake channel on one of them. Anyone got any ideas 1/4 mile or Lake bottom ???

: P

Check this site out to decode the casting number

http://www.mymopar.com/headcastnumb.htm

1972dodgedart001Medium.jpg

I'm not sure how accurate that site is, it lists #302 head as only being made one year 85-86, I always hear they were made until 91.

I will go and look and see if I can figure it out. Greendart, I love your car. can you send me some more pictures of it? Send me some details if you would please.

gipperco said:
Hey I stumbled onto a set of heads for a very good price, FREE. I am trying to figure out if they were worth the effort to go and get them and use them on my 318 for my wife's dart or to use them for boat anchors. The last 3 in the casting number is 973. Keep in mind that I have the stock set of 302's. There is a big " F " forged in the the intake channel on one of them. Anyone got any ideas 1/4 mile or Lake bottom ???

: P

Probably 3769973 castings....'75 - '76 318. So really, the price is about the only thing that is "good" about them. How much fishin' ya do?

Okay, I was just there and I don't see any difference in them except that the 302's are listed as fast burn. I know that there are differences in them as I can see them. And I also know that there is a difference in the swirl porting from what I have read here on the site or do they both have it? I don't know? Will one give me mor compression than the other?

Dustertogo..................

Thanks, I needed a good laugh this AM. I kinda figured that free was too good of a deal. Anchors aweigh.

-
Back