Head Gasket replacement

-

rtse440

Reaction score
I'm doing a replacement head gasket job on a friends 340 running Eldelbrock performer heads. What is the best head gasket to replace with? He has an oil and water leaks. I think the oil leak is coming from the intake gasket, not sure of the water leak. He is not running a PCV valve or a evac.system , which I think blew the intake gasket.

thanks Mark:coffee2:

i think a good gasket would be the Felpro 1008. good all around performance gasket.

Kinda vague. Depends on how the motor is set up. Pistons in or out of the hole etc, being mindful of the final compression ratio!

If you're replacing ONE, make sure it's the same as what came out of there :)

The Mr Gasket 1121G is what I run on my 318. Little thinner and less expensive than the Felpro. IIRC this is the same as the Mopar Perf head gaskets.

When you are fixing someone elses work it's hard to get all the true facts.

But what information I can gather 340, flat top pistons, hydraulic cam. headers. Yep! pretty vague .:banghead:

Thanks for the input I will check on what is out there.

When you are fixing someone elses work it's hard to get all the true facts.

But what information I can gather 340, flat top pistons, hydraulic cam. headers. Yep! pretty vague .:banghead:

Thanks for the input I will check on what is out there.

Open chamber, closed chamber? When you have the heads off it is easy to check where the pistons are. Use a piston stop and verify if they are in or out of the hole and then measure for a - or + number....... Gasket selection is much easier with that information and the CC of the heads so you calculate the compression correctly. You could always just mic the ones that came off or look for a marking and get the same thickness/kind that was on it.

I like to use Fel Pro permatorque gaskets minimum or better Fel Pro gasket...

-
Back