head porting

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
Only because I'ne seen the Eastwood "how to" video AND have an extra head I want to try my hand at porting and polishing, BUT...I do not have a compressor. Is there a 110v electric tool that has enough speed and tourque to do the job?

The industry standard is the Foredom flex shaft tool. Eastwood has a knock off that is cheaper. They are easier on your hands/arms and ears. The head porter I know uses the Foredom.

I have a mikita die grinder that is like a giant dremel tool. Works fantastic. Ain't cheap though I think they are around $200 now. Might be able to get an off shore knock off cheaper.

I have a mikita die grinder that is like a giant dremel tool. Works fantastic. Ain't cheap though I think they are around $200 now. Might be able to get an off shore knock off cheaper.

Mine has around 15 years of use and is still making chips.
The only " problem " I have had is the stamped collar that fits on the end of the plastic body on the business end of it will vibrate loose and drop down occasionally.
It's a simple matter of pulling it back up and giving it a quarter turn or so to re-engage it to the body.
But for all the work it has done , I can't complain.
Carbides last forever ( nearly ) compared to high speed steel cutters , but especially when new , they are serious about their stock removal , and if they bite in , it can get ugly.
Light pressure on the tool and let the cutter work.
A couple different shapes and diameters will do it , an oval and tree shape are my go to. The long shaft cutters are a little too long , so I typically cut them down a bit.
Cartridge rolls in varying grits are essential.
I'm not a fan of flapper wheels , but will use a piece of sandpaper on a mandrel sometimes.
You don't want a mirror finish......it is pretty , but counterproductive.
Don't go crazy and you can get some free ( sort of ) horsepower here.

I use a Dewalt DW887 die grinder, with variable speed reducer home made from house light dimmer switch. For the occasional porting work I do this setup works real well. I believe the carbide cutter shaft diameter is 1/4 inch. Some carbide cutters with long shafts, as offered by Joe Mondello and others help make the job easier.

My collar does the same thing tubtar but has not fallen down the shaft yet. Had mine for 10+ years.

Some carbide cutters with long shafts, as offered by Joe Mondello and others help make the job easier.

Look to industrial supply houses for stuff like this and you typically get quality for less. I'd avoid the Harbor Freight / Northern Tool stuff if you plan on using it a lot.
One shot is different.
Try McMaster - Carr out of Chicago........they have a little bit of everything and lightening fast shipping.
I started using them in the 80's at a place I worked.......if I got the order in by 3:00 , it was usually on our dock the next day......regular surface shipping too.
Like I said earlier.....the long shank cutters are almost always too long.
I found out the hard way......the cutter dug in , the shank bent and a little bend becomes a big one at high r.p.m.
Probably my fault for putting too much pressure on the cutter , but even taking an inch off of the length gives you plenty of reach and a lot more control.

Take it from someone who ports heads for a living and stay away from flexible shafts. when that cutter digs in and that cable wraps up your gonna get hurt. The makita is a good grinder. Invest in a speed controller, you don't want to run full speed. Get a junk head to practice on.
ss1489

-
Back