Head removal question

-

scooby67

Reaction score
Looking to do a head and cam change over the winter. Have TTI headers and clearance to the inner fender is rather tight, although I was able to replace the header gaskets (Percy's aluminum) with a bit of creativity. How much of a pain in the *** will it be to remove the heads, particularly, the lower set of head bolts?

Here's what I have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 163
I don't believe the lower row of head bolts will be too bad. Worse case you have to loosen the engine mount and roll the engine towards the driver side. The cam I believe may be another story. May not have enough room to come out with the grille in place.

I don't believe the lower row of head bolts will be too bad. Worse case you have to loosen the engine mount and roll the engine towards the driver side. The cam I believe may be another story. May not have enough room to come out with the grille in place.

No question that the radiator, bumper and grill , etc... will be removed for the cam change.

Back breaking work doing under hood with all the stuff needed to be removed its easier to remove engine and then reinstall it, IMO I have done it and theres always something that seriously interferes with progress. New cam will need degreed and how will you do that under hood? you will have almost everything unhooked and removed except the tranny and by time you remove the front of the car to install camshaft you can remove the few more bolts for tranny, converter plate and starter and have easy install of all your things and have it complete and ready to install it back in no time JMO work smart NOT hard LOL!

I just did a head gasket change on my 69 barracuda 440 with Schumaker tri-Ys. I pulled the header on the passengers side. Pretty easy, two extra bolts and a flange gasket. As I looked at the driver side, I decided to not even attempt it. I then reassembled the engine. The lower head bolts looked impossible to get at and to remove the header would mean removing the steering column. I did not think of rolling the engine to the side. Good luck,
Andy

Back breaking work doing under hood with all the stuff needed to be removed its easier to remove engine and then reinstall it, IMO I have done it and theres always something that seriously interferes with progress. New cam will need degreed and how will you do that under hood? you will have almost everything unhooked and removed except the tranny and by time you remove the front of the car to install camshaft you can remove the few more bolts for tranny, converter plate and starter and have easy install of all your things and have it complete and ready to install it back in no time JMO work smart NOT hard LOL!

I think you're on to something here. Makes alot more sense, for not too much more work!! I took a close look at is today and I would agree that removal would make the work I need to perform much easier and accessable. Thank you!

-
Back