Head rests

-

69swinger340391

Reaction score
I have a 69 Dart Swinger 340 with bench seat and no head rests. I believe the car is all original and unrestored. A guy who was checking it out one day said that the seats were not correct because head rests were mandatory beginning in 1969. He wasn't being a prick, we were talking for nearly 1/2 hour about the car, he is retired from the car business, and seemed to have alot of good knowledge.

I'm just curiuos, anyone else with a 69 with or without head rests?

Here is a picture of my 1969 340 Swinger (factory 340 car - factory bench).
My car came from the factory with the optional Deluxe interior trim which I believe included the headrests.

0b_1.JPG

Hi. I belive the law came into effect later in the model year so the late production cars would have headrests but not the earlier ones, although they were optional. My cuda has headrests with standard interior and prod. date of Jan/69. Bobby

This would be the factory seats in my '69 Dart, no headrests, although they have been recovered. Either they are factory or someone went through a lot of trouble to spot weld those factory bolt plates on underneath. Stock /6 auto with buckets. Cool eh?
n529090400_2301799_8262.jpg

They were mandatory for vehicles built starting in 1969. The '69 models came out in Fall '68.

Headrest after 1/1/69 is the general cut off.

Some cars built before 1/1/69 may have headrest as existing inventory was used up.

-
Back