Head spinning! Seeking advice for tire/wheel fit, '66 Barracuda.

-

Lingo

Reaction score
Hi, I've combed through all the posts via the search function. I have a '66 Barracuda and I've decided to upgrade to Vintique 15" steel rims. What is the largest width/backspace that I can fit with original leaf springs, fenders, and ride height? Any recommendations for a setup?

Any photo galleries out there with photos/video that I can check out?

Thanks in advance!

Hey, that's my car! Gold w/white interior. Please install dual exhaust with flowmasters and return.

Thanks! ;-)

Price the 15" steel wheels @ Vintique, then PM me and I'll give you a guy to call. I don't know the particulars of your early A body, but there is a guy that does. He's done wheels for other FABO guys and they were all happy (so far).

Hint: He's the guy that build them for Vintiques and Stockton....so he's cheaper (by cutting out the middle man) and will do them "custom" w/o any extra charge. He's been doing it for a long time and will pick up the phone and discuss your particular car/need. Kind of a rare commodity these days....

I do not post his name, as it might get him in trouble with the big boys he does work for....

Make sense?

Pete

On the back a 7" wide wheel with a backspacing of about 4 1/4" should put the tire in about the center of the wheelwell. I know this from my own experience using a wheel with 4 3/8" backspacing in my 1964 Barracuda with an A Body 8 3/4" rear with the stock 10"x1/3/4" brakes. You might even be able to use just a little less backspacing. If you change the wheel width then the backspacing will need to change accordingly. If you went to an 8" wheel you would need to increase the backspacing to 4 3/4" to keep the wheel centered.

Here's a link with some pics & more info.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=14745

I'm running 7 inch wide on rear with 4 1/4 back space 215 tires, front is 6 inch wide with 4 inch back space 215 tires also the front tires will be changed soon too tall don't like the look. They are ralley wheels, not much room to work with in the rear with out moving springs inboard. When you get done let us know what you ended up with size wize i've been thinking about tire sizes for months hard to tell what will work with out stuffing them in there and test fitting i don't want to cut up the car. I am a firm beliver in stuff as wide a tire under the fenders as possible without cutting.

Awesome! Thanks Pete and '64!

Actually, I misspoke in my original post. I'm not looking for the "largest" that will fit. I'm looking for a larger (fatter) set up that will provide a nice stance and more aggressive look.

Thanks for the replies. Photos are much appreciated!

Pete, I'll be in touch once I successfully dodge my most-recent spending flurry from the Mrs. ;-)

-
Back