Head swap thoughts?

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Looking to get some thoughts on swapping my 915J heads to my Edelbrock Performer Aluminum heads.

So heres where I am. I have a 66 Dart with a 408. My original plan was to run the car at the drag a few times each year but that hasnt happened and at this point chances are it probably never will. Just doesnt seem to fit into our schedule. I have been driving it on the street some but not more then probably 100 miles a year for the last 3 years. I enjoy driving it.

The car has manual steering and TTI headers. I plan on changing the steering over to power as I have a new steering box and pump kit. Originally I thought I would change to the edelbrock heads when i did the PS swap however at this time Im thinking I should probably just do the steering and let the heads that are on it stay. My reason for this is that in order to get the heads off I must remove the headers which means I would need to pull the torsion bars since they run thru the headers. Im not sure Im up for that work again.

The heads that are on the motor now are 915J heads that have been ported, over size valves, matching springs for my cam. The edelbrock heads have all new valves, new matching comp cam springs, retainers and keepers along with a set of roller rockers to go on them. I also have the new head bolts and head gaskets so the cost is basically the time to do the change. These heads have not be ported but they have been cut .010. it would raise my compression to at least 11.5:1. currently i am 10.5:1. The engine runs great now and I am in the process of setting up my 2x4 setup with some help from this forum.

SO, I know there will be many different opinions to my original statement as to your thoughts on a change over. Should I do the work and would there be a value add or should I just leave the heads that are on it now and sell the Edelbrock heads to someone that may need them for their build? your thoughts?

Rod

I have put over 30,000 miles on the aluminum Edelbrock heads so they are reliable.
Do you have to remove the headers completely from the engine compartment ?
I usually just hang them away from the engine using bungie straps.But the driver side may have to be removed depending on what power steering box you will be using. As far as compression ratio aluminum heads can dissipate heat better and CR can be higher.
CR can be adjusted using a thicker head gasket such as Cometic if need be.
If you are changing the intake to a 2x4 you can just keep on going and swap the heads.You really didn't say that the 2x4 was already on the car. You will have to make the choice on pull or not to pull the heads.That is totally up to you.Me I'm lazy and have sold off rather than doing the work.
I have been there as far as street or race. Built my last drag car in 2019 and never got to the track.Now it's going to be just a street car with PS,PB,A/C. Working on it now.Still lazy so work is slow.

For me this is a no-brainer... Sell the aluminum heads..
Reasons: plenty...
First and foremost it's a lot of work to lose horsepower if your heads have been ported and the aluminums aren't. Which would be a larger gane than one point in compression which now that extra point may have you pouring in some race gas to keep it from dieseling when you go to shut it off. Seeing as how you only put a hundred miles a year on it it's just to me a colossal waste of money and time.
And also getting those headers out I don't know why people make it sound so difficult when really all it is is pulling one cotter pin one castle nut and popping one control arm at one end loose that's it...

K.i.s.s.

Your ported heads should be flowing similar enough to the eddies, so you probably won’t notice much, if anything, with your intended driving. And if you’re swapping to PS you probably won’t notice the weight savings much, although it would help offset the weight you add with the PS setup.

Selling the eddies could help with the costs incurred from your upgrade to dual quad and PS, and someone else who wants to pick those heads up to improve their setup could benefit in addition. I’m sure they’d go pretty quick on here.

Just wanted to say thanks for the replies and the logic of your thoughts. I was leaning towards selling the heads and it looks like it is the right thing to do. Guess Ill put a package together with all the parts and see if someone is interested in them.

Just to clarify one thing. My 2x4 set up is already on the car and running. So far its worked out very well.

Again thanks for your thoughts.

Rod

-
Back