Head ? Turbo 318

-

mguner

How many is too many?
Reaction score
BJR and others here's the deal...

318 to 324 CID with a blow through turbo. Max boost not to exceed 20psi.
H beam rods, KB forged pistons and solid flat tappet or solid roller.
RPM expected up to 7500.
I have 915J heads, 302 swirl ports and small magnum heads.
Will the 915J heads kill my port velocity and if so at what range?
Will the smaller port 318 heads be ok under pressure for that RPM?
Your thoughts and comments appreciated.

Belden

Well when useing forced induction the heads don't really matter, because port velocity isn't a problem. Port velocity only comes into play when the engine is NA. IMO you'll want and need to run a larger port of the 915's, because you'll pack more in the cylinders, this being the case you may not need to run the boost as high. The thing that I'd be worried about is how long is the cylinders going to hold up with that kind of pressure.

Now if it were NA then the 302's or the magnum heads would be better choice.

Subscribed!

Make sure you get a turbocharger that is big enough to support a V8, no junk yard 4 cylinder turbo.

Keep the CR low, and make sure you have a fuel system that can keep up with the amount of air you'll be forcing.

I am going to use a bone stock Roller 318, with cometic MLS head gaskets, ARP head studs, a Double Roller timing chain, and a Melling HV oil pump.....stock cam, stock pistons, rods, and crank.

I am using a Holset HX55 with a 19cm T4 divided housing for my build. What are you using for a compressor?

DSC06863.jpg

DSC06864.jpg

Good Luck!

I have a T-04/AR60 from a 466 International that will match the 318's needs pretty close. I used to run a large Rayjay on this old Polara. It was a draw through setup and I could regulate boost by carb size. With a 750 it would build 7 psi with the 950 it would build 15 psi. Quite a sleeper...:snakeman:

l_e868e640f3a1962fc719f44b0841f121.jpg

-
Back