Header Bolts ???

-

dran42

72 Dart Swinger
Reaction score
Are small block header bolts wet? I just installed my new headers and low and behold my buddy says "hey, I think those are wet holes and need gasket sealer. Is this true? I have a 1972 360ci

Also; any tips on the passenger side 2nd bolt back from the front for Headman Headers? (The Bolt is a very tight fit, it rubs the header going in)

Thanks in advance

I believe the back bolts are wet. If it's an LA motor with LA heads. I switched over to Magnum heads and have not had them leak water when changing header gaskets, so I'm not sure if the magnum heads are wet, but I know that the LA heads were.

Front and back bolt holes on both left and right heads are wet on LA engines.

Thanks guys,
I think I'll just put sealant on all of them anyway, Just to be sure. It sucks just to put them on just to undo everything I just did. OH well, 2 steps forward 3 back :(

If they are stock LA heads you only need sealer on the very front and the very back bolts only. The rest of the bolt holes are dry and do not need sealant. I use Permatex High Temp RTV that comes in the bronze tube. Regular sealer will not hold up with the extreme heat.

I've always used Teflon paste for the front and back. Like said, all the other holes are dry so no need for sealant.

... any tips on the passenger side 2nd bolt back from the front for Headman Headers? (The Bolt is a very tight fit, it rubs the header going in)

On my 340 Cuda, the driver's side is the nightmare.

Heat up the offending tube(s) to cherry red with your handy propane torch, grab a socket extension, ball ping hammer, or a punch and "dink" the tube so you can get your bolt in there. Keep in mind you don't have to pound on it like Hulk Hogan ... the heat and repetition do the work for you.

"But I don't want to dent my new headers!"

As much as you might think they'll be on there for the duration and you'll never ever have to go through all this bs again, you will. :-D If you're having trouble getting them installed now you'll have the same trouble later. If you do manage to hold your tongue just right and get that squirrely bolt in there somehow, imagine the fun you'll have trying to take it out. Fix it now while they're off the car.

Just my two cents' worth.

I hate my headers.
I hate my headers.
I hate my headers.

Whew. I feel a little better now letting that out.

The 2nd one from the back on the driver's side is always a problem for me... What I usually do is do that one first. I slide the bolt through the hole and then push it up against the head and start threading it. Then I do the front on the same side so it holds the header up, then go back and tighten that 2nd one from the back a little more. It's a pain in the butt, I have to use a small wrench and work in in between the tube and the head. I've got big hands so it's hard to do, plus there's not a whole lot of room to turn the wrench. Sooner or later it's in and straight and then I go off and do the rest of the bolts. I usually take a beer break after doing that one bolt, though.

I take a wrench and cut it down so its short. That way you have more room to turn the bolt.

If they are stock LA heads you only need sealer on the very front and the very back bolts only. The rest of the bolt holes are dry and do not need sealant. I use Permatex High Temp RTV that comes in the bronze tube. Regular sealer will not hold up with the extreme heat.

Do Eddy heads have the same issue or are they dry???

I must have been lucky, I put mine in dry and it hasn't leaked a drop.

-
Back