Header gaskets

-

2shelbys

Reaction score
I am about to pull my super comps and have them re-coated. Through the years I have used just about every major brand and type of header gaskets and nothing seems to last very long before leaking. Yes, I always make sure they are positioned and installed correctly but it usually is not too long before they leak. Which ones have you guys had the best results with? Has anyone experimented with any of the high-temp sealants? I am running a 383 with 11.5 to 1's. Your input is appreciated.

Plain white gaskets here. Old trick is to soak them in water overnight, install them, wait a few hours before firing it back up too. They will swell and conform better.

Also would not hurt to look at the whole exhaust mounting while you are at it. It should be well supported, but flexible. If the engine moves the exhaust should go with it, but not be so that the whole of the exhaust weight is held up by the header more or less. Hope that makes sense.
Cheers

I have always used stock exhaust gaskets with good results. My problem now seems to be with the collector on the Hedman headers, the ball type? I get a leak out of one side and I was wondering also if the high temp sealants, and if so, what kind would work.

Thanks and sorry for jacking the post

if they are slightly warped or maybe not, try REMFLEX graphite gaskets. they are nice.

Mr Gasket ultra seal have worked good for me, i avoid white papergaskets as long as i can since i have never had any good luck with them

-
Back