Header install tips and tricks?

-

SirDan

Reaction score
This weekend I am going to try and install my headers and manual steering box. This is a 73 318 car with a/c. I have flotech afterburner headers. Do any of the header bolts go into the water jacket? I feel like I heard some did. also do I heat cycle ceramic coated headers? any other maintenance tips for them? Please give me any tips or tricks to help this go smoother.

yes Drain the rad fluid before taking off the manifold bolts /studs they will piss fluid if not .Don't know about heat cycle of ceramic coated headers, but they warn not to install on a fresh motor . I installed my ceramic coated headers and let it run for 10-15 minutes at idle while rad was filled and cap off , then put rad cap on and drove normally . So far have about 2000 miles and headers look like new , pic taken today
dartsummer2011012.jpg

This weekend I am going to try and install my headers and manual steering box. This is a 73 318 car with a/c. I have flotech afterburner headers. Do any of the header bolts go into the water jacket? I feel like I heard some did. also do I heat cycle ceramic coated headers? any other maintenance tips for them? Please give me any tips or tricks to help this go smoother.

The front and rear bolts go into water. You can put studs in those holes with some sealant. If you need to replace gaskets in the future you won't have to deal with leaks.

The driver side header will probably go in better from underneath. When I put my headers in I raised the front of the car, loosened the motor mounts (spool) so I could raise the engine and move it from side to side a little if needed. Just use a block of wood between your jack and the oil pan.

I have the passenger side loosely bolted to the motor as of tonight. Went up from the bottom as the instructions said.

I'm wondering with the other side, should I have the manual box bolted in or laying in there when i slide the header up from the bottom? or do I put it on after? I am thinking Ill finish tomorrow and get to do an open header run around the block.

Everything was going just great today UNTILL I BROKE AN EXHAUST STUD OFF IN THE HEAD!!!!!! I AM BEYOND PISSED!!! how the hell do I get this out!? do I need to remove the head? of course its the one all the way in the back under the god damn brake booster ](*,)

Crap !! I did the same thing on my dart 35 years ago ! I drove with a header leak for 2 weeks then I took the head off and got the stud out . Mine broke level with the head , nothing to grab .
Can it be drilled out ?
Good luck , hope someone here has an method to get it out without removing head

Waiting for the open header sound byte

Thank god my dad came to the rescue and got it out of there! I knew it was possible to drill And tap it in the car but that usually doesn't work out. The car has fought me every step of the way. minor tasks are ending up taking hours. I at least got the headers bolted up and fired her up for a few seconds tonight be for calling it quits. I still need to put the brake booster on and connect all the steering junk, put the fan and shroud in and make a bracket so my water pump works. I think if I ever need to put headers in an A body ever again I am finding a lift and dropping the K frame. I can see why people go for the 340 manifolds. But anyway I got to start it up with the headers on with no collectors. Sounded like a monster truck but, it was fun to make some noise.

This whole install is lots of curse words and throwing items. My hands also make cracking noises when I make fists with them now. Gotta love that A body engine bay!

That's great ! Lucky you were able to drill it out Headers are a pain on lots of cars , 69 -70 big block Mustangs and Shelbys were no picnic , neither were early Camaros and birds , lots of cursing , crow bars and base ball bats ! An engine hoist helps a lot , one tool I never forget when it's header time
. All the work will pay off when you're cruising down the street with that ear to ear smile ! Enjoy the ride

I put my TTi's on yesterday, but I found the job to be pretty easy, if you follow the instructions, but then I have a lift in my shop. Ya, my duster sounds pretty sweet with open headers...made my neighbor (a chevy dude) take notice. LOL!

When I installed my headers, I raised the engine about 6"also, removed the starter and they still were a ***** to line up and get the bolts in.

I removed the starter and raised the engine as much as I could with the jack, really didn't feel like getting the hoist out. These flotechs fit pretty darn good. A few dents were made to make the bolts easier to get in only in 2 spots though. It looks close to the one torsion bar so a dent will likely be made there. Overall that's not bad to me. and they hang fine for my tastes. Once they are in I bet ill be happy just installing them is annoying. It also doesn't help when your dad and friend are lighting off fireworks next to you when your trying to work!

i bought a set of tti's and i am sold on them if i ever put any headers on my stuff it will be tti brand i had my set on in about 45 mins no joke. i love the way your car sets what sise tires are on it

Glad to hear you got your headers on and they will sound sweet. Am rebuilding a 70 Duster and really read alot on the forums to help me decide what kind of headers to put on my car. Decided to put on Hedman Shorty Headers and can take them off and put them on again if needed without moving anything. I might give up a little performance but the movability is worth it. Just something to consider.

I spent this last weekend installing a set of flowtechs on a 318 74 Dart...... starter, oil filter, had to be removed... clearance underneath was an advantage.... I didnt have to remove the front and rear manifold studs and they fit in place well... i did have to jack the motor up as high as possible especially for the drivers side.... the 2nd bolt back from the rear was a pain, because the studs werent removed,,, but we got it....Passenger side is close between the tranny and torsion bar,,, need all the right side motor jacked up as high as possible to get it to slip in.... had the red hot flowtechs to mount to the headers, but the alignment is off on both sides as they will hit the frame... so for now, shes open headers....... good luck with the install.... remeber to remove distributor cap, as it hits the fire wall, oh and the fan shroud.....

-
Back