header install

-
Yes you need to unbolt the motor mount from the frame. Otherwise the motor doesnt raise up does it.

no i did unbolt it but i unbolted the big bolt that goes through the rubber part of the mount so it just lifts up

no i did unbolt it but i unbolted the big bolt that goes through the rubber part of the mount so it just lifts up

dusterboy did you read all the stuff i wrote you? just saw that you did:) 73 up abodys have spoolmount enginemounts with just one bolt on each side to take out so you are right there........ so go back to my long first post and check out the litle things i have learnt....

good thing you did not miss it, the most important thing there is TILT the motor...

yeah just puting the passangerside motormount down and puting in the bolt again then tilting it makes alot of diferens

If you just pull the steering column and and unbolt the steering box you don't have to mess with motor mounts. There are 6 easily accessed bolts holding the column and one tension pin on the coupler. IT takes all of 20 minutes to remove the column and remove the three bolts holding the box to the k-member.

This eliminates all the frustration of installing the drivers side header.

Please try what DGC is saying, I would really like to see someone get that header in without removing the motor mount on drivers side. Oh yeah to throw more fuel on the fire, has anyone heard of running the E body headers instead, I heard they give more clearance to #5 and #7 plugs and also allow you to get into bolts back there easier because they have a raised tube to clear a brake booster.

Please try what DGC is saying, I would really like to see someone get that header in without removing the motor mount on drivers side. Oh yeah to running the E body headers instead, I heard they give more clearance to throw more fuel on the fire, has anyone heard of #5 and #7 plugs and also allow you to get into bolts back there easier because they have a raised tube to clear a brake booster.

hmm Aquick408 think you have missunderstood some of thise
why remove the driver side mount? you just take one bolt out of it where it bolts to the frame and tilt the motor over.. no need to even tuch the steeringbox it may work but i think it will be horribly tight to get to install the steeringbox again with the headers inplace..one bolt vs 9bolts wonder wish one you would chose

have heard about those e body headers also sound real interesting :thumrigh:you know what part# they are? have eyeballed a sef ot c-body smallblock headers at work also that looks real good that are old hookers, not even in the cataloge any more

Not misunderstanding, DGC said that it could be done with motor mount in place, as in no even loosening to tilt motor over. If that is not what I read, then yes I misunderstood. The first time I ever installed headers in an A body I used a cherry picker to pick the front of the car up high enough to get header turned up into engine compartment from underneath. I also had to use a floor jack and block of wood to raise motor up when the car was up that high. PITA, glad I went TTI's since my youthful misunderstood days.

Not misunderstanding, DGC said that it could be done with motor mount in place, as in no even loosening to tilt motor over. If that is not what I read, then yes I misunderstood. The first time I ever installed headers in an A body I used a cherry picker to pick the front of the car up high enough to get header turned up into engine compartment from underneath. I also had to use a floor jack and block of wood to raise motor up when the car was up that high. PITA, glad I went TTI's since my youthful misunderstood days.

ok now i see:) sorry dont want to step on anyones toes :thumrigh:

-
Back