Header installation Advice.

-

dragnknights

Reaction score
I picked up a cheap set of Jeg's headers (Based on the Hooker Comps)(Yes, the ones that go through the draglink)(No, because I can't affords TTis), and I'm looking for some tips and tricks on the installation. This is what I've got.
70' Dart
Power Steering
Power Brakes.

Any help wopuld be huge! I attempted this before, and gave up. but not this time! I'm going to do it.

Thanks!

Pass side is cake.

Drivers side you'll need plenty of any of the following
1) Beer
2) Prozac
3) ******
4) Band-Aids

If you have an engine hoist it make it easier. The steering box is a bear to get around.

Give me a call if you need help or a hoist.

Hahahaha. I can always count on you for solid advice! I don't have a hoist, but I've had some luck jacking up on the crank pulley. Will that not give me enogh room?

I'll get my hoist over to your place. I'm not a fan of jacking up the engine off the balance/pulleys.

Get the car up as high as you can in the air too. The angle the drivers side needs to go in is pretty extreme. Bust all the steering gear down.

My advice.....Don't! LOL

Seriously, the driver's side is a bear. Hooker recommends having the car at least 36" off the ground (though I haven't ever seen jackstands that tall). With power steering and brakes, it will be worse.

Remove the center link completely from the pitman arm and drag link. The instructions don't say you have to, but its way easier.

Make sure your mounts are in good shape. I would highly recommend loosening them on the block, though this is mostly for when you get them installed and need to move the motor around so they don't hit on the steering or the pass side torsion bar.

The two rear bolts are a mega pain to get started with the header in the car, and very hard to get a wrench on. An 'S' wrench wouldn't be a terrible idea. Definitely get some stubby wrenches if you don't have any. Also, get some bolts with 3/8" heads. ARP sells them. The inside bolts on the outer tubes have to get drawn down first.

Take your friend up on the hoist offer. You need to get that motor high, and you'll have to wiggle it to get the right clearance.

Good luck

Steve

you need something stronger than prozac.

get some absinthe, thatll make things go quick.

(if you mean absinthe google it, lets just say its 13 bucks a shot and smells/tastes like race gas)

to put my headers on i used a bottle jack, went as high as i could.. maybe foot and a half off floor and put them in from the bottom up.. hardest part was getting the number 7 rear header bolt in..

yes i put my driver header in first then set my engine down into place took like an hour and a half both sides that way i have hooker comps almost same as what you have just be prepared to drag them on everything they hand way low mine have pretty much been self clearenced lol

If your gonna do this in your garage or driveway..you need a Cherry picker to lift the engine up and off the mounts or you'll never get the driver side header in.....the last time I installed headers, it was on a 1969 Dart and I ended up using a huge wooden block and jacking the front end so high the rear bumper was touching the ground.

Heck, I don't even want to go into the detail of what a PITA the driver side header is.

Hence the reason I brought forth the idea for a set of Log style headers...which you can find in Mopar General Discussion.

Yeah the Jegs/summit/Heddman headers are a good deal at $149.00 or whatever...your gonna earn your savings....and just wait till you scrub/crush your driver side header on a dip....you get to do it all over to get it out.

When I get my header idea from drawing board to production piece FABO will be first to know that my phone number is 575-***-xxxx

-
Back