Header installation ??

-

Small Block

Reaction score
Posted this over on BBD and will get some info from here. Got a 72 duster 318 and am having a hell of a time getting em in. Got the car about 2 ft off the ground and trying to go in the bottom with em. Raising the motor up on the pass side and it looks like the steering is in the way. Do i need to drop the steering? Looks like the T bar is in the way? On the other site they mentioned the starter will have to be dropped for the drivers side but i don't have that in yet. Can the headers be put on the motor while on the stand and then be installed bolted to the motor? Give us some of your secrets please.

Ditto, lay headers in engine compartment, drop motor in, dont forget the centerlink/pitman arm may be in the way. Sorry to tell ya it's the only way I know :thumbup:

A major pain on these cars.... yes you must break the center link loose for a pass through on some and the factory studs in the head are gonna have to go too...... Cast Iron with a good X or H pipe is a good street setup unless you are really donna turn some RPM....

BD

I just did this myself 2 weeks ago, and after 2 days of going from the bottom i pulled the engine and layed them in the bay 4.5 hrs start to finish compared to 18 hrs from bottom with no progress

I remember way back when I was putting a set of headers on a 73 340 duster (my first attempt at header installation). Had unbolted motor mounts and raised motor with jack under oil pan. Finally got header in and bolted to head. lowered jack and engine stayed up. By this time was sorta pissed and went and got something to drink. came back outside and engine had fallen back onto mount. I quickly put motormount bolt back in. The way things were going I didn't want the engine to jump back up! good luck.

don

I have done it twice once on a 67 and once on a 71 (darts) I imagine its the same for all a bodies. Yes it is very difficult but can be done on the car. You must raise the car close to three feet the raise the engine until it hits the fire wall (remove the distributor) drink lots of beer it wont be so bad. Marc

You might be able to get away with just taking the cap off the dist, but keep an eye on it.

I leave those studs in the head. just put washers and a fine thread nut on it-works fine. On headman's headers the drivers side by the rear can be tricky-need to start the nut before the header is all the way on the head.

I have install hooker 1 7/8 &1 5/8 primary tube header on several times as was said in a previous thread the car must be up 3 or more feet and the engine up off the motor mounts the hooker are two peice units and the drag link must come off. they go in from the top it is a pain in the butt, with a little care, some well chosen @#$%words and if you hold your mouth just you will have them in. this has only been done by me on a car without power brakes or steering good luck

-
Back