Header recommendations

-

wesgriffiths

Reaction score
what would be the best header for my car and motor. 71 demon 436 small block Indy top end 13.5:1 compression. Best time so far is 9.50@139. Last year I ran hooker hustlers with a 2" tube,over the winter I had the motor out so I changed to a set of tti w2 1 7/8 headers that I had and so far the times from last season to this season according to my log book are the same. Would a better set of 1 7/8 headers be better for the motor? What's your thoughts. Thanks

tti headers are 1 7/8 tube with 3" collector 18" long and hookers are 2" tube with 3.5" collectors 18" long

IMO, both collectors are too small and too short. The 1 7/8 can use a 3.5 collector and the 2 can use a 4 inch collector. The smaller header will probably be ok with 18 inch collectors but I'd bet the 4 inch collector wants to be closer to 22-24 inches.

The issue I see is the merge collector. There is science to it, but you can't just slap on merge collectors and expect power. You have to design the system from the intake to the end of the exhaust. Sized properly and with the correct sized valves, a smaller header, with less bends and a merge collector can make more power across the curve and even past peak. BUT, because most headers have bends too close to the port, and too many tight radii, that it's almost impossible at your displacement to get the header too big. I'd also look at the length of the props are tubes. Unless the car is very heavy, or it never sees RPM over 5k then 28-29 inches is about as long as they should be.

The bigger tubes, with the bigger collector and the right length primary tubes should make more power than the smaller headers.

More than once I have heard people on this forum talk about the intake velocity of a small block Mopar, being a virtue. Does any of that apply to the exhaust headers, or is bigger always better? I'm in learning mode!!!!
But I do understand "she likes it like that"

More than once I have heard people on this forum talk about the intake velocity of a small block Mopar, being a virtue. Does any of that apply to the exhaust headers, or is bigger always better? I'm in learning mode!!!!
But I do understand "she likes it like that"

Velocity is great...if you can control it. Calvin Elston is a smart guy and has done some amazing things with headers. But, in the end it comes down to designing a system from the top down, or from the intake. If you think about it terms of valve sizing, and start there, it's a bit easier to understand why.

If you can use a bigger intake valve, AND you can get the port volume to support it, AND you get the correct cam lobe the engine will always make more power. Usually the limiting factor of intake valve diameter is how close it is to the exhaust valve. If you can make the exhaust smaller, and make the exhaust side more efficient, you can use the bigger intake and a smaller exhaust and make more power. IF you can make everything else happen. Then of course you can use smaller primary tubes and a merge collector that is sciences out for your combination. That includes the exhaust lobe of the cam.

It also comes down to how well can you fit a header into the car. IIRC Calvin likes the primary tube to match the port exactly and then come straight off the head for at least 4 inches. Sometimes that's impossible. And he likes to keep the radii big and to a minimum. Also sometimes it's hard.

I learned from my testing that most guys use too big an exhaust valve, too long of primary tube and too short and too small a collector in CONVENTIONAL 4-1 headers. 4-2-1 headers are a horse of a different feather.

In the end, you want the exhaust to act like the expansion chamber in a 2 stroke exhaust. You want the pulse to head back up the primary to close off the exhaust port without letting exhaust gas back into the chamber. Like anything else, the smaller tubes are more responsive to changes and the merge collector acts similar to an expansion chamber in a 2 stroke. It stops exhaust pressure (and atmosphere) from heading back into the collector.

If you google Calvin Elston you will find his web site and you can read his stuff. He's a sharp cat.

Velocity is great...if you can control it. Calvin Elston is a smart guy and has done some amazing things with headers. But, in the end it comes down to designing a system from the top down, or from the intake. If you think about it terms of valve sizing, and start there, it's a bit easier to understand why.

If you can use a bigger intake valve, AND you can get the port volume to support it, AND you get the correct cam lobe the engine will always make more power. Usually the limiting factor of intake valve diameter is how close it is to the exhaust valve. If you can make the exhaust smaller, and make the exhaust side more efficient, you can use the bigger intake and a smaller exhaust and make more power. IF you can make everything else happen. Then of course you can use smaller primary tubes and a merge collector that is sciences out for your combination. That includes the exhaust lobe of the cam.

It also comes down to how well can you fit a header into the car. IIRC Calvin likes the primary tube to match the port exactly and then come straight off the head for at least 4 inches. Sometimes that's impossible. And he likes to keep the radii big and to a minimum. Also sometimes it's hard.

I learned from my testing that most guys use too big an exhaust valve, too long of primary tube and too short and too small a collector in CONVENTIONAL 4-1 headers. 4-2-1 headers are a horse of a different feather.

In the end, you want the exhaust to act like the expansion chamber in a 2 stroke exhaust. You want the pulse to head back up the primary to close off the exhaust port without letting exhaust gas back into the chamber. Like anything else, the smaller tubes are more responsive to changes and the merge collector acts similar to an expansion chamber in a 2 stroke. It stops exhaust pressure (and atmosphere) from heading back into the collector.

If you google Calvin Elston you will find his web site and you can read his stuff. He's a sharp cat.
Thanks for all your help. Looks like I need to do some more reading. My plan in the future is to put a coil over front suspension to free up some room and build a new set of headers

So is that why fender-well headers do so well, first few inches straight of of the valve, then a sweeper of a first turn?

-
Back