Header wrap on aluminum fuel lines

Mopar Racers Forum

1. 73Scamp318

73Scamp318 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:18 PM
    The fuel lines on my Duster run within 2" of the exhaust and headers on the passenger side of the car, putting a lot of heat into the fuel. I was planning on putting some of that foam rubber pipe insulation on it, but I doubt it would live more than a minute or two being that close. I either need to insulate the exhaust or the fuel lines.

I have a 2" x 100' roll of header wrap that I was planning on using on the headers and part of the exhaust, until I started reading horror stories about it destroying the steel pipes by holding water and rusting them out.

Seeing as how I already have the wrap, would there be any problems putting header wrap on the aluminum lines? Since they're aluminum, I don't think rusting would be an issue and I wouldn't need to drop any extra coin on insulation.

2. bad440

bad440 everything,all the time..

Local Time:
    it will work.wrap it a couple of times.my 4x4 has been like that for years

3. flyfish

flyfish C8H18+N2O = :-D

Local Time:
    1:18 PM
    I use heat reflecting tape on mine to keep the heat out. I’m not sure if header wrap would work the same. It would definitely insulate, but I think it might hold the heat in (correct me if I’m wrong anyone)….then again with constant fuel flow, it might be fine….I don’t know. Give it a try, see what happens. If it vapor locks try heat reflecting tape.

4. 70Duster440

70Duster440 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:18 AM
  5. SpeedThrills

SpeedThrills Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:18 PM
    I would move the lines. The same shielding that keeps heat out, also holds it in once the line(s) are hot.

6. Craven Moorhead

Craven Moorhead Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I moved mine as far away as I could and used the thermo heat shield it appears to have helped, I also used one on my brake line. A big block in a early A creates some space issues.

7. 1994rm250

1994rm250 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    i use header wrap along with stainless steel wire on everthing by my headers wires , battery cables hoses ... ect

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.