Headers=more or less heat

-

Phil21502

Reaction score
really considering the tti shorty headers for my 74 dart sport. Will they emit more or less heat than the factory manifolds into the engine bay?

More around your feet when driving for sure.

Headers have more surface area and thus can emit more heat.

In the grand scheme of things you have an 800 lb thermal mass that is 200+ degrees in there so this never was a concern of mine.

If you wanted to keep the heat down, WAY DOWN, use header wrap. You can literally put your hands on the headers. (which I've done to keep my hands warm) I've used it on snowmobiles, bikes and cars. AND IT WORKS more than just to keep heat controlled. YOu actually have to jet down if you put an AFR or EGT gauge on the engine.

really considering the tti shorty headers for my 74 dart sport. Will they emit more or less heat than the factory manifolds into the engine bay?

If you have the headers coated inside and out, the temperature drop in the engine compartment is dramatic. The way the shorty's go pretty much straight down from the center of the block requires new/modified head pipes, which will be forward of where the current pipes attach and farther from the firewall at the connection.

In other words, there shouldn't be much difference either way. You can always fit some double foil sided insulation(similar to the stuff in this photo from Speedway Motors) just under you carpet.

ac2 (Medium).png

Definitely more heat with headers. I'm looking for a way to possibly coat my raw steel shorty headers, ran them for years and my engine bay was always like a furnace. I have the Hedman Tight Tubes btw it's a bit of a puzzle getting the down pipes routed above the steering linkage but doable if you use one of those tubing "donuts" and offset collectors from Sanderson.

Ceramic coated inside and out,with the thermalbarrier stuff and they will be better than manifolds.
BTW TTI shortys are not centerdump,they dump closer to the stock location.

-
Back