Headers on Ramcharger

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am considering installing headers on my stock 318, 2bbl 87 Ramcharger. I already have 2.25 duals on it, but otherwise stock. My goal would be for improved milage. Do you think the gains (if any) are worth the trouble of installing them? I can get a new set from Advance auto for 120.00 shipped
Thanks!

I put a set on my 84 power ram. Didn't notice any difference in power/ fuel economy. They sounded a lot better. Had to notch the frame on the drivers side to get them to clear though.

I am considering installing headers on my stock 318, 2bbl 87 Ramcharger. I already have 2.25 duals on it, but otherwise stock. My goal would be for improved milage. Do you think the gains (if any) are worth the trouble of installing them? I can get a new set from Advance auto for 120.00 shipped
Thanks!

Find a deal on a used eddy performer and 600 edelbrock. That will wake it up.... Then install the headers and you will notice a difference. Been there, done that..

JW

I put headers on my 87 Ramcharger and have not noticed improved mileage. After 2 years now in the Canadian winters I need to replace them, wish they were 120 here instead of 500.

I put headers on my 87 Ramcharger and have not noticed improved mileage. After 2 years now in the Canadian winters I need to replace them, wish they were 120 here instead of 500.

The top end of the motors just kills the ol' 318.... Give it a decent intake and carb so the headers have purpose lol. I used flowtech headers and they were crazy simple to install...

JW

Mine is a 360 and I have put a FiTech efi on it. I had no problem putting the headers on, lots of room compared to my Duster.

Mine is a 360 and I have put a FiTech efi on it. I had no problem putting the headers on, lots of room compared to my Duster.

I bet it loves the FI... If I was still owned my truck and using it I would have FI on it.... I also had a slighlty looser converter than stock which helped it alot.

JW

I have had headers on every older dodge, truck / Ramcharger I have ever had.
Super easy to install, hookers fit great, just remove the starter and oil filter.
Throw the instruction away, put the drivers side up from the bottom and the passenger side in from the top, no denting the tubes, or jacking the motor up.
It will take you way more time to removing the manifolds, than sliding the headers in.

I do have an Eddy SP2P intake and 650 spreadbore carb i can put on. It runs great, just wondered if headers would improve milage without doing anything else.
Thanks

Which headers fit best for the money?
Doing a budget 318 swap in my 85 D150 SWB and exhaust is going to be one of the bigger expenses.
So far I have a slightly warmed .040 over 68 318 with a Perfomer and Purple Shaft 268 cam advanced 4°, with a 10,000 mi since rebuilt 727 out of an LRE, a couplle different convertors, and an Edelbrock 650cfm.

20150312_182418-1.jpg

My '77 Ramcharger (360) was eating cheap headers every 2-3 years. The winter salt around here didn't help matters either. After the third set I went back to the stock exhaust manifolds.

-
Back