Votes: 32 36.4%
  • headers

Votes: 56 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
Hey! Don't make me come over there!
toetap.gif

Seems a lot of guys have mentioned how bad Hookers are. Also seem to refer to headers on an A body, when she's talking about a B body. I think there's a lot less fitment issues with the bigger car. I use hedmans since I won't spend a grand for headers. They fit pretty well and give me no problems with plug fitment or loose bolts. They don't rust out either, since I had them coated over 10 years ago. I generally go with headers, but on my 69 Dart I'm trying to restore it, so it gets manifolds.

a 440 in a B body with headers is no walk in the park, either. Especially if they're Hookers. Starter has to go in with them, spark plug changes are a joke.

It completely depends on the car, but I'd only drop a set of headers on a car that spins RPM and only go with equal length, so they scavenge properly, which is what they are designed for.

I've debated on doing a 3+3 into 2 on my 240Z, because it doesn't impede on fitment, plug changes or anything, and wrapping them. They look mean on a car that is modified to use them, but I've also been told that the factory 240Z manifold is excellent for flow, so I might drop the idea on it's ***, depending on the CWC blank I get cut by my friend, who makes cams.

The header I'm looking at for that car is a true balanced, equal length and is about $1G. It's critical on those cars, though, because they have two separate intake manifolds with two carbs that need to be balanced and the engine redlines at 7000 on stock points ignition, so individual cylinder scavenging is critical.

They only help on the high RPM end, so total HP/ TQ increase doesn't reflect on used HP/ TQ, if you're just driving around town.

My Datsun is going to be track prepped for SCCA, for when I do hit the track, so I may see a use out of it, but I'm wondering if the gains I'm looking for couldn't be had out of honing the manifold and getting a good set of twice pipes with a crossover.

Headers on an A body are useless for a street car. The money spent on ones worth using kill the idea of the low dollar and low RPM operating range.

I'll stick with a good pair of bigger manifolds on a street car, even ported, before I decide to go with a header.

kinda side thought ....but when talking about manifolds .....I have always wondered if the HP manifolds really flow that much more than the standard log type.

pre 66 all RB engines had log type and it seems to me that the HP are more for marketing because they just look High performance.

wonder if there is really a way to measure that.

Headers for performance. Manifolds for a mild driver. It isn't the hp that makes me like headers, it's the difference in torque!

Headers are a pain with a 4 speed....

what are you guys running?

I have always believed that headers were better off for improved performance.

Headers are about the only aftermarket item I ever use in building a car, the only reason I have not used them in BB A-body cars I have put together is because they don't fit very good and get spendy, and don't agree with Z-bars. Now that I am putting a B-body together I find that headers fit very well with a 440 ....so they are my preference.....cheaper too.

to me, I don't see any disadvantage in using headers other than non-factory look.

what do you guys run.

I run headers, but cheap headers are a PITA on a magnum engine. The oil filter location makes it so that during an oil change you will spill oil on the headers and with a standard oil filter, it has to come out from the top. Very messy.

All headers,on any a body,are that way Magnum dust. My high dollar hooker headers,same way.All of these pipes,are variances ,of 40+ old year designs.

not really sure what is the definition of cheap headers as mentioned to in this thread.

probably these .....I have these hedman headers I was going to use. My cousin gave them to me for the coronet. He had them in a GTX (so we know they fit) and didn't put very miles on them before upgrading to a HEMI .....and when they replaced the 440 for a HEMI in the GTX .....I inherited the 440 and the headers which is why I was going to use them here.

the headers have a strange little ball and socket setup ...they are only a few years old with low miles ....spent more time in a dusty barn than on the road....it would cost hundreds of dollars to get 68 style HP manifolds

Attachments

• CIMG3161.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 68
  • CIMG3162.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 69
  • CIMG3164.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 70
  • CIMG3163.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 69
-
Back