Headlight Dim

-

Duster666

Reaction score
Just finishing my restoration, after having my 76 Duster pulled apart and back together. Strange thing with the headlights. The passenger light is bright, however the driver headlight is very dim. So far I have swapped sealed beams, headlight switch, Battery & ground beside the headlight. No difference. Any suggestions what to try next?

PS same problem whether I am on high beams or low beams. Hi-Beam switch is brand new. Tried a 3rd Headlamp switch, no difference. Tried a jumper from the battery to the positive terminal of the seal beam, no difference. Seems like a ground issue but, what other ground locations could affect it?

Try cleaning the plugs at the lamps, switch, and bulkhead plug. Cleaning the bulkhead plugs solved a lot of dim/slow function on the 73 for me.

It may be that your ground (if you recently painted your car) could be not getting a good contact on bare metal. I think it's those grounds on the radiator support with the little screws, no?

Thanks guys, I took some emery cloth to each of the connectors on the head lights, and the bulkhead. Good suggestion but no luck. I cleaned up the ground, and removed some of that fresh paint on the rad support, but still no luck.

I will keep following the wires / connections, however it appears I am loosing voltage some where / bad ground.

Any more suggestions would be great.

Try jumpering a ground to the bulb instead of a power wire.
Battery - to the bulb -
You have your battery grounded to the frame and engine both?

Ground jumper brings it back nice and bright. Big clue. Now just need to trace the ground back.

I have spliced in a jumper to ground for now, from the RH terminal of the sealed Beam. Seems to work, and shouldn't be a problem Correct?

-
Back