Headlight relays

-

moparlee

64 Valiant
Reaction score
For those that have done the relay trick on you headlights, can you post some pictures of where you put the relays under the hood. Thanks in advance.

Lee

Haven't bothered with it yet.... I just improved the meager 18awg ground wire first to see what that does....your electrical system is only as good as your ground......

Ya, I don't much care for him. I've bought some stuff from him in the past. I like the products, but they way he talked about Mopar people and put them down, I won't buy nothing from him again. Anyway I was just wanting pictures of where some people have mounted them on there Mopars. Thanks again for everybodies replies.

Lee

moparlee said:
Ya, I don't much care for him. I've bought some stuff from him in the past. I like the products, but they way he talked about Mopar people and put them down, I won't buy nothing from him again. Anyway I was just wanting pictures of where some people have mounted them on there Mopars. Thanks again for everybodies replies.

Lee

I haven't done it yet, but I would suggest mounting the relay somewhere between the battery and the drivers side headlight so you can keep the wire lengths short. The goal is to beef up the wiring, so it does not make sense to have real long wire lengths just so you can mount the relay in a specific spot. Kinda defeats the purpose of doing the mod.

I agree with Greg. Mount the relays under the battery tray for a clean look, plus you can tap into the high & low beams wires from there. Add a small terminal bridge right from the battery and your good to go. As a matter of fact, that's where I'm going to mount mine. When I do it I'll photograph the sequence for future reference.

BTW: Go with a set of Halogen H-4 headlights while your modifying the system. You won't beleive the difference....:shock:

DSCF0087Small.jpg

DSCF0088Small.jpg

heres how mine are setup. i used the original wireing and connectors for the switch so i had a redundancy system just in case. i also used NEW connectors at the lights with the H4 halogen conversions. i havent fully dont the tubeing YET but i will before i sell the car. if anyone wants it:(........

hope these help -- from over at dodge-charger

headlight-relays.gif

Attachments

• lighting-start1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 431
  • lighting-cut2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 451
  • lighting-relays3.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 477
  • lighting-connections4.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 462
I mounted the relays left to the radiator on the cross member (?) to keep the cables short.
The diagrams from rolling thunder shows exacty what I did...

Those diagrams are what I'm doing. The battery with a kill switch is in the trunk. I'll be coming off the alt. I was going to put them in the area where the battery was. I couldn't see your pictures for some reason, moparPW200guy. Thanks everbody.

I suggest that the photos Rolling Thunder posted be added to our tech archive. If you can't figure out what to do using them, you shouldn't be operating a motor vehicle!

Thanks for posting the sequence! :thumbup:

I know this is a silly question but ill ask anyway....is this headlight trick a fix for the charging problems on mopars...aka, dimming lights at low idle? i know it sounds silly but i wanted to make sure

ibleedmoparts said:
I know this is a silly question but ill ask anyway....is this headlight trick a fix for the charging problems on mopars...aka, dimming lights at low idle? i know it sounds silly but i wanted to make sure
thats one reason. The main reason is that you dont route the Amperes thru the Headlight switch in your dash...

i see...sounds like ill be doing this on my 73 sport very soon...thanks so much for the info. will that also fix the gauges dimming?

Rolling Thunder made a great ilustration! put it in the tech arcive its just so briliant you cant do it wrong if you look att his pictures!

I haven't done either yet but I plan to do them as soon as it stops raing here in Houston. Much different rain here than in Los Angeles, that's for sure. At least I already have all the wiring and relays and sockets. Just waiting on the weather...

Let us know how your set-up goes when you get all done with it!

-Alex

I used a couple of relays on my 1971 Dart GT. I used the original wiring to enable my relays (see schematic), but did NOT damage the original wiring. I simply found male terminals that fit the original headlamp sockets and plugged them in as if it were the headlamp. I then drilled a small hole on the passenger side fender and mounted my relays (near the A/C drier bottle).

-
Back