Headlight switch knob fell off shaft

-

rich006

Learning as I go
Reaction score
I pulled the knob to turn on the headlights, and the knob came off in my hand. The switch still works normally but now I have to grab the triangular ridged shaft. Does the knob just glue onto the shaft? I don't see any other means of attaching it.

The shaft is removeable, from the switch, but keeping the age in mind it could be a little fragile.
As mentioned,epoxy will hold it just fine.

A little epoxy on the very end of the shaft and then slide the knob on and let it sit.

The knob may not have been fully engaged onto the shaft - from 'day one'. I have never had one 'come loose' in fifty years (except the wiper knob with 'set screw'). Suggest reach under to push in button (top surface) on switch body to fully remove the shaft. Be aware that the removal of said shaft will activate headlights on way out. If so, just push shaft in lightly until lights are turned off. Takes more 'push' to re-engage stem to its' usual position. With stem and knob both removed, it is much easier to 'lock them' both together. More often than not, a type of glue not necessary. But, some simple contact stuff from $ store quite adequate. Do not mess around with a 'two-part' product (such as JB) as you will not need very much 'glue' - just a couple drops. :)

Last edited:
-
Back