Headlight switch question

-

autopar3000

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was doing a whole rewire job on my 70 Swinger a few months ago and I managed to mess up the headlight switch. Just the spring inside the ceramic piece that operates the dimmer function, everything else was OK.

I bought a replacement switch and went to install it yesterday and found the threaded hole for the retaining nut is too large. My nut slips right in the hole, it's a bit tight but it goes in without any screwing (insert jokes now). It seems that the threaded hole is perfectly one size too big. Everything else was fine, the new switch looked almost identical to my original Mopar switch.

Did they ever make headlight switches with slightly larger retaining nuts? Or am I another victim of today's poor quality parts?

1717602633168.png

I went to my local O'Reilly Auto Parts and ordered the following switch:

IMG_0809.JPEG

for my '71 Dart GT. I was shocked how easy it was to remove & replace. Everything works as it should. It's nice to have the full range dimmer function again.

I went to my local O'Reilly Auto Parts and ordered the following switch:

View attachment 1716259021

for my '71 Dart GT. I was shocked how easy it was to remove & replace. Everything works as it should. It's nice to have the full range dimmer function again.
That is EXACTLY the one I bought! Same box and everything!

I guess I got one from a bad batch.

Rick Ehrnberg sells headlight switches on eBay. I can’t vouch if they are great or not but he’s pretty solid.

I discovered there's a headlight circuit breaker inside that switch in my 65. After installing the new one.
Back to the original with the imperfect dimmer and headlights that don't start randomly flashing

-
Back