headlights flicker 69 dart

-

dartsteve

Reaction score
Any suggestions?

340 dart starts up great, lights work fine. 1 mile down the road they start to flicker and can be completely off for a couple seconds at a time before flickering again.
I have added an addition ground wire to the fender and bypassed the hi/low beam floor switch.

Thanks

Could be the switch under the dash, could be a faulty ground at the headlights too. Make sure that circuit is grounded. Did this happen all of the sudden? Sounds like you have to do some electrical work. I'm going to say it's a 99% chance it's something simple like a rusty ground connection or a loose positive connection. Start with the simple stuff first.
Does your voltmeter fluctuate when you put the headlights on?

Do they flicker but stay lit, or do they actually turn off and on? I ask because there is a built in circuit breaker in the headlight switch that will reset itself once it coold down. If there is a short, the lights will go on and off as the curcuit breaker trips and resets itself.

George

Lights work great when first started up. A mile or so down the road they flicker and can remain off for a 2-3 seconds only to resume flickering on and off. I installed an additional ground wire to fender.
With lights on in the driveway I have checked most connections and no flicker.

Sounds like the next step is the switch?
For that first mile down the road they are fine. Could a defective component be heating up?

Thanks

Yeah, you said most connections. I suspect you hit a coupla bumps, or the vibration, and jar something loose. When it sits in the drive with the lights on they don't go off?

Works great when not moving and the first mile is great. Then it starts.

This is the age old problem of old contacts in the bulkhead conntector. First disconnect the amp meter from the amp guage and connect them together. And then check the contacts in the bulkhead most likely they get hot a mile down the road and start disconnecting at the bulkhead causing flicker. Or could be the light switch. Had the same problem in two cars.

Check out http://www.madelectrical.com/index.shtml

Good luck

I know what you mean. I was going down I-15 at night. Jaming along at 70 or so when the head lights go out. Then they come on then they start to flicker on and off. So I reached under the dash and grabbed the connector behind the on off switch and started jiggling it and it stoped. It was just a loose connection is all.

You can take that witch out. There is a pin in the bottum of the connector you can push in then the knob will come out and you can get to the connector and check it out that way.

-
Back