Headliner and weatherstriping questions....

-

Dusterbingthepeace

Reaction score
So I pulled the headliner out of my 73 duster today and expected to find bows holding it up, however there weren't any. Its doubtful that the headliner was original, so Im wondering where I go from here? Also, when I purchased the car, there was brand new weatherstriping in the package for the trunk, roof rail and doors...the only problem is the old stuff was removed before I bought the car....does anyone have pictures of their weatherstriping that could point me in the right direction?

Your original headliner should be a thin, pressed board style molded to the proper shape. It is held in place with a few clips on the roof rails under metal trim pieces, and it may have a single screw holding it up to the roof framing just above the rear window. Of course, the rearview mirror holds the front edge up to the roof.

If yours was replaced with something else, it's possible to find one in fairly decent condition, but good luck - they are fairly fragile after all these years.

There is a company that reproduces them in ABS plastic, but I can't remember the name. I can't speak for their quality because I've not seen one.

If it is the pressed board style and is in decent condition (that the board is solid, not water damaged) it can be reconditioned. Repaint it or cover with headliner foam/fabric. My headliner board in my '74 Duster was flaking paint badly and I glued the generic white foam backed fabric onto the board. It looked pretty good. I don't have picture at hand. If you want to see pix, I would search thru files to find.
I have picture of trunk weather strip too.

So I pulled the headliner out of my 73 duster today and expected to find bows holding it up, however there weren't any. Its doubtful that the headliner was original, so Im wondering where I go from here? Also, when I purchased the car, there was brand new weatherstriping in the package for the trunk, roof rail and doors...the only problem is the old stuff was removed before I bought the car....does anyone have pictures of their weatherstriping that could point me in the right direction?

Check out this sight for weatherstrip part numbers and diagrams:

http://metrommp.com/

Maybe you can match the part numbers up if they are from metro, or you could look the part numbers up at:

www.rockauto.com

Hope this helps.

I am not sure if legendary auto interiors has headliner stuff for your vehicle, but it would not hurt to ask, they have a store on ebay.

Thanks guys. The original fiberboard headliner was pretty beat up. Had water damage and when I pulled it down it had what could be considered a small animal nest under it.....haha. I will check out the link for the weatherstriping and are what I can come up with

Thanks guys. The original fiberboard headliner was pretty beat up. Had water damage and when I pulled it down it had what could be considered a small animal nest under it.....haha. I will check out the link for the weatherstriping and are what I can come up with

I was fishing for some hood parts today for my 64 Dart, no luck, but I came across this link for headliners for your car.

http://www.dantesparts.com/abodymolded.html

Turns out the weatherstriping I had come with the car was from metrommp so that worked out perfectly in my favor....And I did check out Dante's for the headliner so thanks again!

Turns out the weatherstriping I had come with the car was from metrommp so that worked out perfectly in my favor....And I did check out Dante's for the headliner so thanks again!

Just wanted to let you know on future purchases of metro weatherstrip. If you need more and have your part numbers, it is less expensive to buy them through rock auto. Just do the search at rock auto by the part number. Also, you can look up a rockauto discount coupon worth 5% off by doing a google search.

I have a nice original headliner board from a 74 Dart Hang 10 same as Duster PM me if interested

-
Back