Headliner conversion kits

-

Dart Lady

Reaction score
Anybody ever use one of these? I'm looking to put a headliner in my 64 Dodge Dart 4-door. I have my bows, and I think I could probably install a regular headliner kit, and I'm helped by the fact that my back glass is already out and my front glass is going to come out. However, I have seen these "conversion kits" in a couple of places, and while some cost as much as a regular bow-style headliner kit, some are about a third of the price.

http://home1.gte.net/classic1/ws8.htm

http://www.jcwhitney.com/bow-type-headliner-conversion-kit/p2023537.jcwx?filterid=d413y1964j1#
On the second one, I'm actually not sure it includes the cloth, and when I called JC Whitney, the person I talked to had no idea.

And here are directions for how to install the conversion kit, though the kit this site sells costs more:
http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/headliner_directions.htm

Anyway. This is appealing to me for two reasons: one, it looks easier than a regular kit. Two, it looks like it could be cheaper. All I want is for it to look okay; it doesn't have to be perfect or even appear "stock."

Anybody ever use one, or have any thoughts on this?

While I don't have any knowledge of the headliner conversion kits you are looking at, I do have some experience installing regular headliners. They are actually pretty easy to install, and not that much to buy. I know you said that correctness is not really an issue for you, but in the interest of function, a headliner made for your application will be much easier to work with than something that must be altered to fit, customized in some way to your application, or made for a one size fits all. A headliner made for your particular application could easily be installed in a couple hours with just simple tools and a little patience and attention to detail. You can have the thing hanging in from the bows in about ten minutes, and stretched to fit in an hour. Of course there are a couple tricks to making a better installation such as setting it in the sun to warm before you start and using a hair dryer to smooth any wrinkles, and brushing on some contact cement on both sides where the teeth will hold it, but all in all a straight forward process. I recommend spending the extra few bucks for the correct unit, I think in the long run it will be an easier installion and you will be happy with the outcome!! Good luck however you choose to proceed!!! Geof

Geof, thanks! I think you're right, that I'll be a lot happier with a headliner that's actually made for what I'm trying to do. And since you say you have some experience, I have some follow up questions...

First, I don't understand what my final step will be in the headliner installation. All the tutorials I've read were on cars with trim panels that covered over the edges. My car doesn't have that. My parts car has the trim panels, but it's a 2-door and mine is a 4-door, and I don't think the trim panels can be made to work on my car. My car appears never to have had them. Here's what I have:

306989_10150353438946550_689216549_10214036_8272133_n.jpg

See? It's like the original headliner is just magically stuck under that lip. I also keep reading that you should change out your windlace first, and I don't plan to replace mine at all, but I'm not clear on how I will get the sides all in place without making a gluey mess of the windlace.

Furthermore, how do I get the old headliner out from under that lip? Can I turn those little tabs and pull that piece off?

-
Back