Headliner side molding/clips

-

dave273dart

Reaction score
I just had the headling installed on my 67 Dart (270). I can't remember how the clips fit. Does the clip attach to the roof first and how and then the side molding press on? Also, does the molding fit under the chrome roof rail (inner side). Anyone happen to have pictures. I removed the trim soooo long ago. I thought that I took pictures but guess not. Thanks.

Dave Davis ([email protected])

The open end of the U-shaped clips attach to the roof side of the weatherstrip channel. Then you push the channel up into the opening next to the rain gutter. L8r

Jim

Jim.
First the clips attach over the headliner material where it is glued to the roof and the clips have two little teeth to grasp the material and metal . The side molding slips between the groove in the interside of the chrome roof rail and the roof and then pushes up into the clips. Does that sound right. I wish that my book was more detailed so I could see pics of it. I took the molding off years ago so I could restore my Dart. I don't suppose anyone could take one off and send me pics. Just kidding.

Dave

Dave,
I responded from memory. I will try to get out to my storage shed tonight after work to get a better description for you. They are talking about breaking a heat index record here today so I can only imagine what the inside of the shed will be like, ughhhh! L8r

Jim

Jim.
First the clips attach over the headliner material where it is glued to the roof and the clips have two little teeth to grasp the material and metal . The side molding slips between the groove in the interside of the chrome roof rail and the roof and then pushes up into the clips. Does that sound right. I wish that my book was more detailed so I could see pics of it. I took the molding off years ago so I could restore my Dart. I don't suppose anyone could take one off and send me pics. Just kidding.

Dave

Dave,
I eventually found the parts that I was looking for. That's what happens when you have spares for three different cars in the same place! Well, here goes! The first pic shows the pinch weld on the roof near the A-pillar on the drivers side. The headliner material wraps around the outside of this pinchweld as can be seen from the adhesive residue still present. The aluminum window gasket channel is removed in this case, but you could still get at the headliner if it were installed, you would just have less room to work. The second pic shows the interior trim piece with the mounting clips shown. These clips would need to be installed onto the trim first and the aluminum gasket channel would need to be installed first as well. The narrow, deep, U-shaped bend in the clip slides over the pinch weld with the headliner material wrapped around it. The outside edge of the trim piece interlocks into a groove in the gasket channel. This relationship can be seen in the 3rd pic showing the two pieces interlocked from an end view. The outside edge of the trim would first slide into the mating groove in the channel and then the trim would be rotated up and onto the pinch weld, holding everything in place. There is a mounting screw at the front of the trim piece that needs to line up with the existing hole adjacent to the pinchweld toward the front. I hope that the description and the pix clear up your confusion. L8r

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_2810.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_2811.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_2812.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 431
Thanks Jim.

This sure does help me and does clear up the confusion. I put the right side trim in place without the clips and held it in place with a screw. I did figure out that the side trim does fit in the groove (between the roof and roof rail). I noticed that after I put the roof rail in place and put the new roof rail seal on there is a gap where the side trim goes. That is because I had to move the roof rail outword to get the door window and the 1/4 window to seal even after I adjusted the glass. Nothing fits like the original equipment. Thanks again Jim for the pics.

Dave

-
Back