Headliner

-

oregonhd

big daddy John
Reaction score
My question is I have a 72 dart do I need to remove the windshied and rear window to change out the Headliner?

From what I understand you do not have to remove it but I'm half way through changing mine and I cannot imagine doing it with the glass in place.

It's hard enough as it is without having to tuck the headliner up under the windshield seal while stabbing it on the grippers. Also being able to work through the openings from the outside really helps. Just my feelings though, others will disagree. Kind of wishing I'd just ponied up the $190 bucks the local upholstery shop wanted to do it. The front isn't all that bad but I can see getting around the rear glass and the sail panels smooth is going to take a lot of time and patience.

See this link: http://www.restorick.com/tech/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5

As mentioned, the job is easier with all the glass out but it's doable with it in. Just tuck it up under those window gaskets.

I'm just about done now and the headliner is coming out nice. Two things I would mention about the "How-to" link I posted earlier. He says to have about 12 pony clamps. I bought 12 at Harbor Freight (on sale right now for $1.00 each). I used those plus another half dozen clamps I already had. It's not enough. To finish the job I went back to H.F. and bought another 20. I looked at his photos again in the "how-to" posting and he used way more than 12. Now I can finally get it stretched and clamped as needed and it's going really well.

The other point he doesn't mention but I saw from the photos I took of my old headliner before removing it and also from looking closer at his photos, is that as you get it stretching close to position, you need to start slitting the extra fabric (which will eventually be removed) hanging lose on the edges wherever there's a curve- above the quarter glass and around the upper rear glass opening corners where the sail panels meet the roof.

As soon as you do that everything relaxes and you can continue stretching the edges tight. Just be careful you don't cut in too far - I stopped on the outer lip where the clamps go. As I stretch it a little more I cut just a little more. I was really dreading getting the sail panels smooth but now they're laying really nice.

-
Back