Headman Fitment issuse... help??

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I install my engine and tranny, and had everything sitting well. So I bolted up the tranny, and engine. Then When I went to bolt on the headers suddenly the drivers side (of course) don't fit! It seems to be hitting in a place that I haven't heard anyone complaining about either. Right under the steering box.

It's only like 1/4" off. The strange thing is that I can get the back bolts in, and probably the middle bolts. It the front of the header that needs to go up 1/4" but it won't let me!

Do you suggest, unbolting the tranny, and loosen the motor mounts and see it I can get it to fir better? Or just go under the car and beat the Hell out of the headers? Or maybe grinding a bit off where that bolt is? It's not hitting the idler arm, it's in back of that yet.

Hopefully you can understand better after you see the pictures?? Notice the front of the header sit down 1/4" more the the back.

Thanks much!

DSC01253.JPG

DSC01247.JPG

is that manual steering right? and what car is this on?

i'm interested in this thread as i just purchased some headman headers for my dart. and i hope i don't have this problem

No, it's power steering.
It was also a V-6 swap... so, there might be some alignment problems because of that as well? I seems to sit so well though. It's level too.

I wonder if I could take a piece of wood and smack it on the bottom of the collector if that might push it up some? Maybe?? You think?

hmm. i'm sure somebody here on FABO will be able to help you. there are alot of knowledgeable people. my car is a slant 6 swap as well. but i have manual steering. so hopefully these headers fit it mine

Good luck. I have a 69 barracuda and have had 3 different sets of headers on it. Most of the headers will fit with manual steering but not power steering because the power box is larger diameter. I went back to stock 318 manifolds but now that I installed a 360, I may be looking again.

TTI makes some that are supposed to fit well but, they are over 600$ for a set.

Yea, $600.00 is a lot. That is why I bought these.

Maybe I can even take off the steering box??

Wait... no I'm not! That drivers side is just a mess. We'll see.

Help?

are you very attached to your power steering? i'm not sure how hard it is to swap over to manual steering. maybe thats an option? i'm not sure

good luck though

FWIW, I swapped from manual steering to power steering with Hedmans on my 360. One of the pipes comes very close to one of the steering box mounting bolts but does not touch and the headers clear everything else with no issues.

I would recommend pulling the steering column (really does take much time) and un bolt the box until the header is in place but not tight. Then bolt the box back up, then the headers and lastly re-install the column.

Well... Tell me how bad this is!

I ended up using a jack, and raised it from the bottom of the car. I had to have bent something? but I did get it high enough from the strength of the jack to bolt in the first bolt. BUT!! Then the back of the header was to high! So I then had to use a pry bar on the bottom of the header and pull down. It then pulled down far enough to get the back bolts in.

What I'm afraid of now with all this pushing and pulling is if the header is going to be somehow warped and not sealing correctly? What do you think???

Also, the bolts Summit gave me were the wrong size so I had to go to the hardware store and get some grade 8 bolts. Well the head on the bolts are to big to fit in two of the spots for the headers! Do you guys know where I can find smaller head bolts? I tried Ace, and Sears neither place had them.

Also, do you guys use lock tight on your header bolts?? I didn't, but I used lock nut washers. Is that good?

So I fixed it... Sort of?? :munky2:

I have heddman on my 69 cuda I had to clearance them in a couple of places. I used a torch and just made small dents in them. THey hit every where. On the power steering box and also on the drag link. Also put a torque strap on to keep them from hitting under hard accleration.

I thought about allen head, but I was afraid I wouldn't get enough torque on them to tighten them.

I'd use the hipo manifolds before I'd use a "cheap" set of headers. Been there, done that w/a set of Hookers or, cut the check for a set of TTI's.

I'd use the hipo manifolds before I'd use a "cheap" set of headers. Been there, done that w/a set of Hookers or, cut the check for a set of TTI's.

I sure love my TTIs!

When I get done reading horror stories of other brand headers I think the ttis was worth every penny.

Do you find with these headers that you need extended battery cables with the mini starter?

How you you guys run your battery cable with these headers without frying them?

Thanks!

-
Back