Headrest Crack Repair and Band Replacement

-

DustyEd

Reaction score
What's the best method to repair a crack in the vinyl on headrests?

Also, how does a fellow remove the old chrome band in order to replace with new one?

Thank you.

I have used a permeated abs plastic repair and removed bands by razor and little force...can easily crack and make more damage if you force hard

I suppose, depending on color, your other choice would be to replace the unit. I face similar quandary with green headrests that are burned from the sun. Likely will be switching to buckets when Swinger interior is sourced as one reason being installation of console/floor shift and other is that green (headrests) nearly impossible to find, or extremely pricey. That would still leave me with (four) green arm rests to replace. (sigh). Good luck with your own repairs. :)

Kind of funny this popped up as a buddy just told me about a technique told to him by a restoration guy recently. Supposedly, for cracks in vinyl this guy uses super glue and baking soda. He uses the backing soda as a filler and the super glue as a binder. He said that the baking soda can be sanded and contoured to make the crack invisible.

I suppose, depending on color, your other choice would be to replace the unit. I face similar quandary with green headrests that are burned from the sun. Likely will be switching to buckets when Swinger interior is sourced as one reason being installation of console/floor shift and other is that green (headrests) nearly impossible to find, or extremely pricey. That would still leave me with (four) green arm rests to replace. (sigh). Good luck with your own repairs. :)
I am in the same boat.
Can they be painted or dyed?

I am in the same boat.
Can they be painted or dyed?

Hi. Were you referring to headrest, armrest or both? Pretty sure they can be painted, if prepped nicely and a particular color and type of paint is available, and I'd guess best replacement item (to paint or dye) would start out as white. I haven't looked at my (green) armrests for a while as they are packed away somewhere but I am sure they are not only hardened up but bent out of shape - yet another issue with 50 year old pieces. Still, I have decisions to make as looking at about $2500. to do entire interior, which includes everything plastic, vinyl or fabric. Good news would be that I have several perfect chrome ashtray inserts to choose from. (sigh)

Hi. Were you referring to headrest, armrest or both? Pretty sure they can be painted, if prepped nicely and a particular color and type of paint is available, and I'd guess best replacement item (to paint or dye) would start out as white. I haven't looked at my (green) armrests for a while as they are packed away somewhere but I am sure they are not only hardened up but bent out of shape - yet another issue with 50 year old pieces. Still, I have decisions to make as looking at about $2500. to do entire interior, which includes everything plastic, vinyl or fabric. Good news would be that I have several perfect chrome ashtray inserts to choose from. (sigh)
Sounds like a plan.
Please let me know if you find a source for paint /dye.
I myself need to black in to Pearl White.

That company offers a good service, however, what about those of us with headrests that require 'Level IV'? (That would be totally replacing seriously damaged vinyl.) I see they offer excellent used for up to $625. a pair. My (CDN) cost would be $800. :eek:. Now you can see how my 'plan-B' may take over, since I already have good hi-back buckets, a very nice console, non-column shift housing parts, OEM detailed shifter and linkage. I was considering changing insides from green to white/black but likely too much to consider - what will be black and what will be white. Thought it could look alright with exterior F8 and roof white, plus white transverse rear decal and white scoops. Black inside may not complement the green outside. (??)

-
Back