heads

-

duster340

street racer
Reaction score
what would be the best heads for a 340 with a 270 @.05 solid roller cam lifting .650
the engine also has tti headers holley stripdominator intake manifold, crane goldrace roller rockers...
any god info?
it now has a set of ported J heads with 2.02intake valves and 1.60 exhaust valves

I have a ported + polished set of X heads on mine - it made over 500hp on the dyno... Cam is [email protected] (solid roller), 13.5:1 compression, Arias pistons, etc. I had considered the Edelbrock Performer RPM cnc ported aluminum units, but I'm told I probably wouldn't see any gain using them, other than the obvious benefits of aluminum. A good choice would be a set of Indy's or Mopar Performance W-9's. Problem is that both of those heads require special exhaust, valve gear, and intake manifolds.

from what ive read...the LARGE PORT COMMANDO heads are IT!!!

but it also need special valve train...if your running good,WHY CHANGE?

ok thanks a lot!
sure it runs god but remember that my 340 i screaming at 7500rpm+ and i want more power whitout more rpm i like the atitude of a shortstroke V8 but i will have to have a look att the comando heads is there anyone that has actualy tried those?

Your 340 is screaming over 7500 rpm because it's a LITTLE motor! Mine is too. I've got the limiter set at 8000 but every once in a while I'll tag the limiter if I'm just a touch slow on the shift. Bottom line though - bigger heads will move the power band to higher rpm zones. It's a 340 man, let her eat! Mine has survived in the 8000 - 8500 world for the better part of 20 years with over 10:1 compression and the worst thing it ever did was put a few minor cracks in a cast crank. Once the stock cast unit came out we put a stock steel unit in and have been punishing it ever since. :burnout:

Some thing else to consider... I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I think the difference between the J's and the X's is the valve size. The J's are easily hogged out for the big valves - I know that for sure because I ran a set for years. So maybe instead of hunting down a set of X's you could just soup up the J's you already have. :study:

my J heads already have the bigger valves and i still want more power :drunken:
i know that the smart thing to do would bee to put a strokercrank in it but i like to beat chevy smallblocks with a smaller engine :lol:

ok i have been thinking about those indyheads for a while but will my TTI headers still fitt then?

Well, I'm not sure what you want out of a 340 - but here's what I have... Stock .030 block w/block fill up to the bottom of the freeze plugs, chromed and knife edged Lunati crank - stock stroke, Eagle 'H' beam rods, 13.5:1 Arias pistons, the aforementioned cast iron 'X' heads, a Comp Cam roller unit very similar to the one you're using, and a Victor jr. Edelbrock intake (untuoched). No gear drive, and it doesn't even have double valve springs. This engine displaces just over 340 inches (346 I think). It made 507 hp @ 7200 and 445 lbs. ft. @ 4700 rpm. So far it has propelled the 3400 lb. Barracuda it's in to a 12.33 @ 110 mph, (1/4 mile). I know that doesn't sound too impressive, but it SMOKED the tires past the 330 ft. mark at the dragstrip. I think a set of sllicks will get it into low 11 second zone - possibly even the high 10's. The motor seems like it runs better every time I drive it. It actually puts about 3'' of air under the front tires right before it blows the rear ones off. Since I drive it all over the place I haven't really gotten too serious about making it hook, but I think I may borrow a set of tires this spring and find out what it can break. The car has a 4-link w/coil overs and 3 way adjustable shocks front and rear, a 5.38 Dana 60 and a 904 w/5000 rpm converter, low gear set, and a trans brake. I'm pretty sure a set of tires will go a long ways towards sticking it. The point here is that you shouldn't sell the little 340 short, it's plenty capable of putting a full bodied Duster into the 10's without nitrous. :!:

Th eIndys are a great head but they need some port work to get them to really flow. TTI's will fit them I think.

klrfish1968
sounds like you have en engine that has the same behavior as mine, it will smoke the tires when i stab it att 45Mph and the trany kicksdown!
still want more but im not going to put in a 4link so i will be quick using more power!

Mine wags it's tail all the way to about 4000 rpm in high gear. You know right when it stops spinning the tires because it feels like you just hit dry pavement, so at the moment I'm not really looking for more power, I'd just like to utilize everything I've got. But as I mentioned before, this is a street car, so dumping another $1000 into a set of wheels and tires for the 2 or 3 times a year I go to the drag strip just isn't justifiable to me - yet. I did give some thought to the Edelbrock aluminum heads though - if nothing else they would certainly add to the aesthetic appeal of the engine compartment, and as long as the power didn't fall off. The problem is that for the money spent (in my case) the only real gain is the weight you lose by substituting aluminum for cast iron. The problem with any head that uses stock type valve gear is valve and port configuration. To really see the gains you have to relocate vales and redesign ports - thats why all the really good heads all use special valve gear, intake manifolds, and exhaust. So the real question is how much do you want to dump into 340 cubic inches? - - Food for thought - what kind of power could you squeeze out of a low deck 452 with the money you've already spent on the little moter? I've seen those things crank out almost 700 horsepower and still be relative mild mannered compared to the small block. Imagine this - 680hp/600 torque, idle at 900 rpm, 3000 rpm converter, 3.55 gears, 11.22 in the quarter. this motor had cast iron 906 heads, 9.5:1 compression, and cost about $6500 to build - for comparison I've right about the same amount in my 340 that idles at 1400 rpm and lives on VP C-12.

my engine is living on a steady diet of 98 octane unleaded pumpgas with a litle octane booster to be on the safe side, i think a set of aluminum heads would alow me to have about 12:1 compresion and that would probably giv me some more horses to!
i like to dump all the cash i can find into this little rocket because the chevyguys get realy pissed of when they realise that i beat them with 10cui less and no nitrous :lol:
the bigblock thing is also in my head but then i want a 2door dart..

-
Back