Heat/defrost vacuum actuator lever stuck?

-

sargentrs

Reaction score
Before I go ripping my heat/AC box open thought I better ask. Sorry, no pics, on my phone n it won't let me upload. I now have everything working, I believe, so that I can have heat. I have good airflow to the interior everywhere and the doors appear to be working in the appropriate selector location. With one exception, the heat/defrost actuator lever, left side by driver's knee, appearsto be stuck. The diaphragm is working correctly but the curved rod, in the case, will not move. I can unbolt the actuator from the case and see it travel, roughly 3/4", when the selector is moved. I've tried rotating the lever with some pliers but I can barely move it up and down from center. I'm assuming in defrost mode, no vacuum, it should be up and in all other modes, vacuum applied, it should be down. Tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks grumpus! Since I don't know what the configuration is on the inside I'm kinda flying blind.

Inside should be a straight rod with a flap attached pivoting on 2 bushings. Look along the bottom front edge of the heater box and you should see 2 or 3 flat clips. Pop those off and a section of heater box can be removed to access the heater core. Just to the right of the heater core you will see the defroster flap. The bushings are the target...

Oops, forgot to mention, factory heat/AC. Different box. On the AC end mine has 6-8 screws holding a front on. Safe to remove without things going "SPROING!"?

Here's a pic. You can see the darker area and the lower part of the actuator where it slides in and out. I've also removed the screws while I was testing everything and it's definitely working.

Attachments

• mms_img256968489.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 103
If you're talking about the hex heads in the pic, take 'em out. Shouldn't be anything falling out of there unless you have a rodent problem...

-
Back