Heat riser stuck

-
The purpose of the heat riser is to help a cold motor heat up. In Florida where you live, the heat riser would hardly ever operate, if at all. Motors get up to operating temperature quite quickly. Up here where winter temperatures are substantially below freezing, the heat riser operates regularly. Unlike you, I've found very few seized heat risers. If it's seized, it'll be seized open. For all the good it will do, you're better off just leaving it be.
Thanks, I like your avatar

Not if it has sat up. I have seen several seized closed. That's the "default" position when the car is static and not running. I do agree though that in warmer climates they really are not necessary.
Mine was frozen closed.

Graphite lube works great on those things. If you can live with the rattle, I'd agree with the folks suggesting you just leave the weight and spring off. If you feel you need to put it back on, then follow the suggestion to wrap the spring only enough to close the heat riser when cold, any more will cause the heat riser to stay closed too long.
Surprised to hear that, I would think graphite would burn off. Thanks for the tips

Gonna be a little tough to get too on the car. I would just go ahead and pull it. Looking at everything like it's a can of worms is part of the problem. Remember, the guys that put these things together did so probably still hungover or drunk from the night before. They're not difficult to work on. Afraid you're gonna break a bolt or stud? Well fix the thing if you do. None of this is rocket science. If all you do about it is type and never pick up a wrench, How's it ever gonna get fixed?

Gonna be a little tough to get too on the car. I would just go ahead and pull it. Looking at everything like it's a can of worms is part of the problem. Remember, the guys that put these things together did so probably still hungover or drunk from the night before. They're not difficult to work on. Afraid you're gonna break a bolt or stud? Well fix the thing if you do. None of this is rocket science. If all you do about it is type and never pick up a wrench, How's it ever gonna get fixed?
I have picked up wrenches for nearly 30 years as a profession thus far. ( possibly longer than you have lived ) I have learned over the years to ask questions / become familiar with things if at all possible before turning that wrench.

On-line forums such as this are a big help to alot of people including myself because it sometimes gives us the opportunity to learn from other people mistakes and we do this by asking questions.

Suggesting that all I may do is is type questions instead of work on my vehicles is really un-called for but Ok thats fine.

-
Back