Heat/Sound Insulation

-

Jurrami

Reaction score
This winter I am looking to begin work on my car's interior and I was wondering what everyone has used for heat/sound insulation. Have there been any aerosol sprays you have had success with? There are a lot of options and I'm just looking for the opinion's of others on this matter.

Let me know

I have a double layer of fat mat in my daily truck with mud tires and it quieted a fair amount. The hottest place I have it is in the door panels and none of it has slid due to heat.
I got two large roles from online (don't remember the company) and it was very cheap compared to dyno mat.

The best bang for the buck is to use a blanket type insulation such as "The Insulator" from Aircraft Spruce. Pull out your seats and carpet, lay The Insulator out on your floor from as far up under your dash as you can get it all the way to the back window. Cut out a bunch of fitted pieces, so you have a solid sheet of the stuff from the dash all the way to the rear deck and from door sill to door sill. Now, tape the seams up with that aluminum ducting tape. Use the kind with the peel off wax paper to seal up all the seams and tape the edges to the body.

I do behind my door panels and under my headliner too. If you can hear rattling/resonation on your body panels when you tap on them, you can deaden that noise with a product like Dynamat Extreme. That is about all it is good for, sound deadening of resonant panels. It is not a good full car vapor barrier like properly applied blanket style insulation. Bulk packs of the stuff can be found at Amazon for about half price with free shipping, which makes it viable to use.

Once you have cocooned the interior with the stuff, you will be amazed at how much quieter and cooler your interior is.

Used hush mat in the 'Cuda

Attachments

• DSCF2401.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 477
  • DSCF2515.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 456
  • DSCF2517.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 431
I've heard good thing about the rolls of roofing stuff you can get at home depot. Anyone use that stuff???

I'm at that same part of the build and I'm trying to figure out how to insulate the interior too. I want to insulate it from the cold, heat, and noise.

I too tried some of the FatMat MegaMat which is butyl based. I keep hearing how much better it is over the asphalt based stuff. At this point I only applied it on portions of the package tray, and it seemed to work a bit. I'd like to buy more for the doors, roof, and floor.

Here's what I bought for the package tray: BLACK FatMat 10 Sq Ft x 70 mil Thick Self-Adhesive Butyl MegaMat Sound Deadener Bulk Pack w/Install Kit I still have a roll left.

For heat, I have been looking for different products that will keep the heat away and also won't catch fire. So far, I've found the following product. It's 3/8" thick and I figure it would be perfect for the roof to sandwich between the headliner and roof.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/the-14125

Alternative suggestions most welcomed! :)

I've heard good thing about the rolls of roofing stuff you can get at home depot. Anyone use that stuff???

The silver-back HVAC duct insulation at lowe's/home depot works really well... Only needs to be on 30% of surface to deaden acoustically.

Here are a few pics of the stuff from Lowes I just installed in my Dart project. Probably not the best but works well for the money. I have used this many times in many old hot rods I have built and like the final results.
100_4769.jpg

100_4768.jpg

100_4773.jpg

Here are a few pics of the stuff from Lowes I just installed in my Dart project. Probably not the best but works well for the money. I have used this many times in many old hot rods I have built and like the final results.

Can you post a link to what you used? Does it have adhesive on one side? If not what are you using to get it to stick to the floor? I am looking for a more cost effective material for insulating my duster

The stuff is great have it in my dart and w150. Under 25 for a 25' roll 6"wide. I does not have a smell from the floor above the exhaust either!

Can you post a link to what you used? Does it have adhesive on one side? If not what are you using to get it to stick to the floor? I am looking for a more cost effective material for insulating my duster

Just peel and stick, sticks better than some of the others that are made for cars. Once down it is down!

Here's some of the stuff we got at Home Depot. Used 2 rolls in Duster to cover the floor and a few pieces inside the doors. Total spend about $30-$35.

Pat

Looks like I will be copying this, thank you! Would be nice if it was wider than 6"

-
Back