Heater Box, AC/Non-AC

-

Aaron65

Reaction score
My '65 wagon originally came with air conditioning, but all those parts have been removed except for the heater/AC box. I drive the car when it's cool outside (usually 30* and above) and it has pretty weak heat (thermostat is fine). I've read that the firewall between the air and non-air cars was different; can anybody verify that?

I'd like to someday swap in a non-air box and control panel to avoid some of the needless complexity of the current system and all its related vacuum lines. Is that feasible or am I out of luck?

Does anybody make rebuild parts for the AC heater boxes?

id first check the heater control valve to make sure its working good. also could be a door not closing all the way. Maybe flush the heater core.

Firewall differences: Yes. If you swap in a non-A/C heater assembly, you'll have difficulty sealing up gaps, notably around the blower motor (smaller non-A/C motor may not even be properly mountable). Heater valve idea is a good one; you can simply bypass the valve. Heater core clogging is next on the list of suspects.

I did a cooling system flush this summer, but I didn't pull the heater hoses and give the core a nice flushing out. I'm almost afraid to, because for all I know it could be original to the car; the crud inside might be all that's keeping it from leaking! :) Well, I certainly have some thinking to do about this whole deal, but I'll start with crawling under the dash and checking out that control valve. Thanks, fellas.

Gonna be a long, fruitless search for the heater control valve if you're crawling under the dash. It's located on the right inner fender, about 6 inches ahead of the firewall, right out in plain sight.

Ha ha! Got it, Dan, thanks! Might be time to stick my head into the shop manual rather than under the dash.

Well, the heater control valve is missing, which I should have known because the heater hoses are routed directly into the heater core. Therefore, that's not the problem.

-
Back